cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kernel upgrade from 721_EXT 132 PL to 300 PL

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sapians,

I have a  requirement to kernel upgrade from 721 release 132 PL to 300 PL . I am not able to get any side effects or any note for the same.

As i Move in the same release i dont think there will be a problem in it. Kindly suggest on it.

Regards,

Karthik.R

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Always, update latest dw, tp, R3trans, lib_dbsl, DBA tools etc. on top of new kernel bundle patch so that known bugs can be fixed.

Most of the kernels carry bugs and SAP tests the same on internal systems and releases the bugfixes in latest dw, tp, R3trans components. So do not just do the kernel update but apply latest components as well.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Former Member
0 Kudos

I think its not needed Nick. I am thinking of doing online patch as all the other exe will be there in 132 patch. I am just going to uncar SAPexe and SAPexedb files of 300 PL in the existing exe and run saproot.sh.

So downtime too.

Is it possible experts

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There is something call 'loading' which would surely show it's side effects if you done somehting online. Also, if any file is open or in-use, you cannot make changes to it. And even if you will do it online, which i think you can't and should not, requires a restart for sapcpe to work.

Former Member
0 Kudos

ok Divyanshu. Then I have to do all the other components too. not only sapexe.sar and sapdbexe.sar?

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Both SAR files themselves are a complete patch for the kernel. However, utilities like disp+work and programs like R3* can be patched to other levels.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Divyanshu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Kernel update is an offline activity, do not do when your system is offline.

If you do it online, you have to be ready for issues, unnecessary risks and downtimes.

Regards,

Nick Loy

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

I forgot to mention about RKS.

You can use this if you multiple AS.

Refer - Note 953653 - Rolling kernel switch

Regards,

Divyanshu

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks all. Thanks for your suggestions. Let me do my kernel upgrade and let u know.

0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Since the release is same, the prerequisites will be same. The notes mentioned are specific for 721 300 PL. Kindly check once in SMP also for any other notes.

Regards,

Meenu Hans

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Meenu,

Is there any side effects other than this

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

SAP will only release SAP notes as documentation for every kernel patch level and you find them under http://service.sap.com/swdc - Browse our Download Catalog - Additional Components" SAP Kernel" SAP KERNEL 64-BIT UNICODE" SAP KERNEL 7.21 64-BIT UNICODE

Info page - General Information - Documentation section

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks RB,

I am not able to find any prerequisites for this patch level. In info it gives the enhancements of the current kernel. It doesn't give any side effects. Help me on to find the node for installation of 721_EXT kernel patch 300. I am also trying the same in SMP.

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello Karthik

If the system is currently running with 721 EXT kernel then the same pre-requisites apply even when you go to a higher patch level within the same kernel release.

The SAP note will only speak about the corrections or big fixes a certain patch level covers.

I am not sure whether there is something called side effects report for a kernel set available from SAP but you can try here https://websmp208.sap-ag.de/side-effects

Regards

RB

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

As I wrote above, if you release is same patch level won't really create any problem.

Also, related notes section which covers improvements and corrections to kernel.

Regards,

Divyanshu

0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Kindly ensure that before upgrading any kernel, check the relevant sap notes.

Check the notes:

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2010500

http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2005121

Regards,

Meenu Hans

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Karthik,

Did you look an the info section on right side of file to download, which supplies all relevant notes ?

If you are not same release, updating patch should not be a problem.

Regards,

Divyanshu