cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros & Cons of Using SAP PI Interfaces for Report Generation

0 Kudos

Hi Guru's

I have a Scenario's like

I have to generate a customized report in SAP with the main data's available in SAP ECC and some required data available in the Legacy System.

I want to know the Pros & cons of using SAP PI RFC/Proxy adapter interface to get the data from the legacy system for each time the user execute the report in SAP ECC.

Thanks in Advance

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ejas,

I suppose that you are thinking between to get the data via job or to get the data every time the user is using the report and you want to store the data in the source system.

I think the main problem is not in PI, if PI process is quicker, for example less than one minute, you don’t will overload PI, however a long time call like seven or eight minutes because you are getting a large amount of data can be dangerous if the number of users is big.

The main problem in my opinion is in the source system, you should think the problem of the concurrency (if you want to store the data in the source system). If you don’t want to store that data, in my opinion the unique problem is the efficiency, it seems so dirty to retrieve always the same data.

Hope my opinion helps

Regards.

0 Kudos

Thanks Inaki Vila,

Our Scenario is to get the data(we don't store in SAP) from legacy system every time the report is executed in SAP through SAP PI and it is related to the SAP FI module.

I want to know whether the interface will be executed only once are multiple times depending on the line items.

Thanks in Advance.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ejas,

Could you provide more detail about the kind of database storage of the legacy system, for example, SQL server, Oracle, or files,.... Because as my opinion, you could choose the suitable adapters based on the storage type.

Regards,

Thien

0 Kudos

Thanks Thien Duong Le Vu,

The Database of the legacy system is SQL Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

OK, i think the best way is using JDBC sender to get data from SQL server, and ABAP proxy as receiver.

Regards,

Thien

0 Kudos

Thanks Thien Duong Le Vu,

We can use the adapters but I am thinking about pros and cons about running an SAP PI Interface in the report.

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ejas

You can develop a sync Proxy (sender) - JDBC (scenario) receiver scenario, the only problem could be if the message is big and the number of requests are big then you can overload the PI or the DB receiver side. The advantage would be that you can monitor the communication via PI and you will have centralized the interfaces (this one and other in the future) in PI.

Regards.

0 Kudos

Thanks Inaki Vila,

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

This requirement should be implemented in BI.

Technically you can use ABAP, PI but it's a bad design for the obvious reason you may already know.

Cheers,

F

0 Kudos

Thanks Fouad,

Please can you tell me reason why we should not go for the scenario using ABAP,PI.

Former Member
0 Kudos

There are couple of "dimensions" to consider in your PI interface design. For exemple when you are running the sizing exercise (Since we are considering adding a net new interface), you will need to capture specific information about new interface.i.e. S/A, adapters, frequency, avg payload size. etc..Note that the last two attributes will be hard to size properly in this case since you can't predict how frequent the end user will run the report which will impact the latency time required to pull the data. Latency will affect the user experience as visible side affect and definitely the SLA for other interfaces running at the same time.

On the other hand, the data you are trying to retrieve from the legacy won't be used for transactional purpose but for the end user to pull KPIs from the system which can affect ECC as well. You may end up doing lot hot fixes for your report (Assuming that the report is a medium complexity code)

There are other factors to consider but let's consider these are the major one.

Cheers,

F

0 Kudos

Thanks Fouad