cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is the service to download the instacnce from history?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello All,

I'm fairly new to the BO world and would appreciate any help navigating my way through the API, we currently use BO SDK and are building a proof of concept with BO 4.1 RESTful services. I was able to schedule a document for generation.

I have scheduled the document with keepInstanceInHistory property to true. At a later point if I want to download this instance, which service should I be using? I've tried scheduling with SystemDestinationAndSpecificFolder option as well - which did not write the document in the folder specified.

we'd rather like to have the ability to download/save the instance on demand - for instance this could be wrapped behind a UI so that when user clicks a button, we want to downlod the report.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Pavan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

What version (SP and Patch leve) are you using?  There was originally a limitation of scheduling to destinations of FTP and local filesystem, but I believe that was corrected around the BI4.1 SP03 timeframe (can't remember the exact version).

What format(s) are you scheduling to?   You should be able to access scheduled instances and return them as a binary stream using their mime-types (rather than a text stream) and then save the stream locally.

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dan,

Thanks for your reply. We're using BI 4.1. I'm trying to schedule a PDF format using http://localhost:6405/biprws/raylight/v1/documents/1234/schedules.

Upon successful schedule, I get a scheduleId.

when I invoke http://localhost:6405/biprws/raylight/v1/documents/1234/schedules/34533 , I get the status of that schedule. how do I get the binary stream back (which service to use)? this is actually what we're looking for as this will be invoked via a user action.

Thanks,

Pavan

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Pavan,

Sorry, my bad.  You can't stream the PDF instance.  you can export a webi doc to PDF and save that stream, otherwise you will need to schedule to destination, which should be available as of BI4.1 SP02, or redirect to the instance using opendocument,

Streaming an exported file to disk is discussed here: with some sample code attached

Dan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Dan,

Thanks for the link. I have another follow up question, export - does it run schedule the document immediately and stream the instance of that run (more like a synchronous run)?

How about the asynchronous use case, I can shcedule the document when the data is ready and we persist the schedule Id. we can go back and check status for the schedule Id and when it is ready (for instance a long running report) I want to be able to stream it back when the schedule is completed.

we currently do this using the BO SDK in 3.x version

1) schedule the document (InfoStore#schedule), persist SI_NEW_JOB_ID.

2) query the status by querying CI_INFOOBJECTS with SI_ID from previous step

3) we stream the report by using ReportEngine.openDocument with ID from step 1.

I am looking for equivalent of the step 3 in the RESTful Api. I'll continue to explore the document, but if you have any pointers that will be of great help.

Again, Thanks very much for your help.

Regards,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Daniel,

I have a BI 4.1 SP6 and I try to download (using restful service) a pdf/xls schedule instance of a document.

It's still impossible ?

Regards.

daniel_paulsen
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is not possible with BI4.1, but can be done in BI4.2.

See the following: 

Dan

Answers (0)