Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we work with EDI files without using Seeburger adapters

Bhargavakrishna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone,

We have a requirement to read / write the data in EDI format without using the see burger add-on.

Is there any workaround to achieve this? PFA sample files and suggest me some approach.

Client has provided the sample data in both XML and txt formats. i think we can handle this by using File adapter and import the xml as XSD in ESR.

But the challenge here is to post the data in EDI format.

Thanks

Bhargava Krishna

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

S0003485845
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

to convert the data from the XML equivalent to real EDIFACT-format, I would strongly recommend to use a Standard EDI-Adapter and the 2 most common on PI would be the

- Seeburger EDI-Adapters

- SAP B2B AddOn

Both tools do not just translate between EDIFACT and an XML-equivalent but also take care of any syntax rule regarding teh EDIFACT Format.  And since there are also mutliple different EDIFACT-Versions existing for each message (e.g. 97A, 97B, 01A....) which might have different rules/segments, I would not recommend to develop anything yourself.

You always need to consider that the EDIFACT messages are mainly used to exchange data between business partners, so any error that occurs on outbound side (e.g. missing mandatory segments...etc) is immediately visible to your business partner and might even have a negative impact on your partnership, if your supplier/customer realizes that your files are not  following the EDIFACT rules...that might result in manual intervention on his side....

Kind Regards

Stefan

iaki_vila
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhargava,

You are right, the challenge is to try to convert the XML with the file content conversion in a plane file. You can develop a module java class if you can't find th fcc correct way to do, but  i don like personally this option.

You can check if the B2B open initiative for PI Open PI Initiative (OPI2) - Process Integration - SCN Wiki

is useful for you, at least it is free and it can be good start point.

Regards.

Bhargavakrishna
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Inaki,

Thanks for the quick response.

We are on PI 7.4 dual stack version, the open PI adapters are compatible till PI 7.3 version.

I feel there are few risks involved in it, like compatibility, version support, monitoring etc

Can i read the attached xml files by using File adapter?

Regards

Bhargava Krishna

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Bhargava,

You would be able to read the XML files attached without any problem.

When you are planning to have to implement better to go with standards having an add on on the PI system.