cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expanding DB in SQL Server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice/input for migration of our SAP DB running on MSSQL Server 2008 R2 and was setup using clustered disk.

The current disk space is almost full and I need to expand/migrate the DB, however there are some uncertainties on my end and would like to seek input for all of you who had done this before.

Can I  expand the vdisk then go to disk management then expand the volume, while doing this do I need to bring down the SAP the production instance offline for the disk to expand? or I can do it while it's still active, so there will be no downtime?

Thank you,

Ura

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

DB has been expanded,

thanks for the help guys.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ura

Thanks for you information. could you explain in detail & then close the thread it will be useful to others

BR

SS

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ura,

Can I  expand the vdisk then go to disk management then expand the volume, while doing this do I need to bring down the SAP the production instance offline for the disk to expand? or I can do it while it's still active, so there will be no downtime?

Suggestion here would be to take the system offline before doing this to avoid operational issues.

Refer below information on the extension steps

How To Expand and Extend To Increase Capacity On A Virtual Hard Disk The Easy and Fast Way–Solve th...

Expand vdisk

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

So, it would best to take the instance down then we do expansion?

1. The vdisk was connected to SAN Storage, hence I'll do allocation via SAN Storage.

2. Once allocated Disk Management detected the allocated space e.g. 500GB.

3. Before I expand the volume on the disk, it's wise to bring the SAP Instance down?

4. Expand the volume

5. Start up SAP

6. End of job

correct steps?

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ura,

Just add one more step of taking backup using export method as suggested in link above before you proceed with activities.

Otherwise the steps looks good.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ura

1.  On your windows OS Disk management Check the current volume showing as basic or dynamic? if it is dynamic means you can expand the volume online.(Without stopping the SAP & MS Sql DB)

If the volume basic you can stop the SAP instance, MS Sql DB files movie to new volume by MS Sql detach / Attach method.before that take the full DB backup.

BR

SS