cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webdynpro JAVA VS Webdynpro Abap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi all,

which one is the best platform of webdynpro  (JAVA OR ABAP)

Regards,

Antony.A

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

SAP announced a number of years ago that Web Dynpro Java had reached maturity and would be developed no further, only maintenance updates and fixes would be rolled out.  WD ABAP however is still be enhanced.

Ultimately, if you want to consider non-ABAP web development you should be looking at SAPUI5/OpenUI5.

Having said that, WD Java is still a powerful tool and I enjoy working with it - as has mentioned with the link above, there is life in the old dog yet...

Cheers,

G.

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Having said that, WD Java is still a powerful tool and I enjoy working with it - as Shai Lapidot has mentioned with the link above, there is life in the old dog yet...

I enjoy working with it as long as I am working alone in a single server. When you have to synchonize code you start running into problems....at from my experience.

It was normal having to wait 30 minutos for a complex webdynpro to synchronize, way too much time.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

that is your individual case, your nwdi got some problem.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Joao,

As Jun suggests, it is unusual for NWDI to be so slow, however I have had issues with customers in the past where a combination of under-sized NWDI instance, poor network (wifi + VPN) and over-complicated componentisation of the applications have almost caused my NWDS to be impossible to work with.

On the other hand, with a properly specc'd NWDI instance and proper network connectivity everything is almost instant.  I think sometimes its easy to blame the tools we have issues with, when in reality the real problem is caused by some other part of the landscape.

Cheers,

G.

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I believe you, it's was probably the infrastructure because it was too abysmal to be normal, but the problem is you have fewer people with a lot of experience on Netweaver Java system administration.

I've never worked with it since, so ... Also it was a BPM system, so it was a bit different. At the time we weren't using 7.31 where it was merged with the portal, I remember we had to use too machines.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Development Speed: WDABAP

Flexibility and Adaptability: WDJAVA

Future Prospects: WDABAP

Winner: WDABAP.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Development Speed: WDABAP????

I don't think so.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Now with SAP FPM it is much easier to stitch and built complex UI's from existing WD ABAP screens

Only UI design is quicker in WDJAVA. Using existing data types and BAPI much more easy in WD ABAP.

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

now wda can also be developed from eclipse, so the only advantage is gone probably.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Sharath

Sharathmg
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

WD ABAP, would be the preferred mode as that is where SAP is investing. As part of SAP's latest UI roadmap, future developments are planned for WD ABAP. WD Java has been sidelined.

As far as the best technical platform, WD Java provides more options to build, integrate and manage data sources. WD ABAP is restricted with integration to ABAP systems. WD Java along with the world of Java API's has potential to leverage the possibilities of the open source world.

Best Regards,

Sharath

junwu
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

abap for sure.

java is minor in sap