Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Difference between Kernel release upgrade and Kernel patch upgrade

rajarshic
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi,

1. Please let me know the differences between Kernel release upgrade and Kernel patch upgrade if there is at all.

2. Generally we would extract the new kernel in some directory and then cut paste the new executables into the global kernel direcory followed by the instance specific kernel directories. My doubt is that during this process many executables will be replaced and some of the old one will continue to remain. What is the significance of the old executables? Do we need to retain them or remove them? Whatever kernel upgrades I've done, I retained the old executables and we never faced issues.

Thanks

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajarshi,

Kernel Release is like 700, 710, 720, 721, 740, 741 etc. Which are changes to the way kernel is deployed and used with enhanced functionality.

For every release patches are released where SAP enhances kernel programs to correct bugs, bring enhancements and as per SAP products and OS. Kernel programs are tested as per new OS patches and compiler used for generating programs.

For eg.

Refer: Note 1553300 - 7.20 EXT Kernel - Extended Kernel Maintenance

Regards,

Divyanshu

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear

The main Diff between Kernal release upgrade and kernal patch upgrade is that

the kernal release upgrade effects whole os  part  and kernal patch upgrade effects some of os binaries as we apply kernal release upgrade when we got continuous abap dumps for any pgm it means sap has made some changes to get effect that changes they release new kernal release once applied that kernal all changes get activated and for kernal patch upgrade we need do apply some times when we apply patch set to existing sp 

Regards

rajarshic
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Sriram and Divyanshu,

Thanks for the information.

I'm aware of the difference between patches and releases of kernel. It's just that, is there any difference in the process of upgrading the kernel amongst them? Like in patch upgrade we'll retain the old executables (that remain after replacing the whatever existing executables with the new one) whereas in release upgrade we'll just remove all the old executables and keep only the new ones. Didn't find any specific Note or KBA which deals with this point.

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Time to time SAP releases Note & KBA based on the Kernel or Patch release.
What is your requirement? Have you performed an upgrade let say from Kernel 7.00 to 7.20 & above? If yes then you will understand that there are certain steps which are additional other than what usually we follow to do Kernel upgrade whether it is patch or release.

BR

SS

alwina_enns
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hello Rajarshi,

to update the kernel you have to download the archives  (kernel stack) SAPEXE*.SAR and SAPEXEDB*.SAR, these archives contain all executables and libraries, which were tested together. But sometimes in case of critical errors you have to apply only dw*.sar archive, this is only a kernel patch (dispatcher, gateway, message server, icm), a part of the executables and libraries in executable directory will not be updated. If you have only dw*.sar archive the system will wotk (I think), but some functionalities will not be available.

Regards,
Alwina

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

For every new release, difference are expected which are mentioned in respective release specific notes. For patches, for same release, method remains the same of replacing kernel because you have already made the changes as per the release.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Sriram2009
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Rajarshi

1. Please let me know the differences between Kernel release upgrade and Kernel patch upgrade if there is at all.

Kernel release upgrade - New kernel level has been released for current kernel level. e.g. kernel 7.00 to 7.20

Kernel Patch upgrade - New patch for existing kernel e.g - Kernel 7.20 with patch level 200 to 500

2. Depending on kernel release you may have to follow certain different steps other than generics.You may require to follow the relevant kernel release SAP note or KBA

BR

SS