cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remote Client Copy - Slow Require alternative.

former_member245319
Participant
0 Kudos

HI S.A.P Guru''s,

Client requested a refresh of QAS System.

Simple task, but unfortunately there are some pitfalls.

Hardware:

CPU: Itanium Dual Core 1.4 GHZ,

DB: MAXDB.

1Gb LAN

The Hardware is outdated and the client is in the process of procuring new hardware for their environment. We have been requested NOT to stop any SAP Instances or restart them or the Servers they are running on (Extremely Fragile Environment). The SAP Systems have been running for over a year with out being stopped.

- System Refresh is not an option since we cant Stop or restart any SAP Instance. Space is limited on PROD and QAS System.

- Client Export/Import is also not an option because both servers have extremely low free disk space available.

PROD CLIENT is sitting on 700GB.

Our ONLY alternative was to start a Remote Client Copy.

Remote Client Copy was started and It failed a few times problems were corrected and Copy was continued. Its been 7 Days there are 4 Tables left:

Copy is still running. . .

The 4 Tables:

ACCTIT   - 66.002.352 KB  (Actual Table Size on PROD)

BSIS      - 38.123.928 KB  (Actual Table Size on PROD)

COEP    - 33.155.568 KB  (Actual Table Size on PROD)

S033      - 10.576.648 KB  (Actual Table Size on PROD)

We cant sit and wait another week or two for these jobs to finish or even fail again.

My Question:

- Is it possible to Terminate the Client Copy. Export the 4 Tables and all their content together or separately in 1 or more Transport Requests and then transport them into the QAS Server.

- Then run the post Client Copy processes manually afterwards.

If the Transport file is 10% of actual size of table then 7GB Transport Request containing only the ACCTIT Table (Largest table) will be able to fit in the trans directory (Believe there is almost 10Gb available). Making this the fastest way to get this nightmare copy over and done with.

If this is possible. What are the post processing steps or jobs that i will have to manually execute.

If this is not possible, please provide an alternative method of completing the copy a.s.a.p.

Thank you for all your time and support.

Regards,

Johann

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I would wait for the client copy to complete as no other options in this scenario and my resources/options are very limited.

Regards,

Nick Loy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Johann,

You said you have limited space on PRD and QAS. Can you please share the total space allocated and free on PRD as well as QAS.

Remote client copies are problematic as it over the network .

Also please list down top 10 tables and their respective sizes.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member245319
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

If you are worried about log space, DB space and or transaction log space. There is plenty for that allocated.

The Client Copy has not failed and is running. It has already copied over 600GB of table data to QAS System and these last 4 Tables i mentioned. Has a total space usage of about 130GB.

It is for this reason i requested assistance: Cant wait another week, i need to get this done. That is why i asked my question in original message. Can i Terminate Remote Client Copy, transport tables and run post client copy task manually? Transport only the last remaining 4 Tables:

ACCTIT

COEP

BSIS

S033

Trans Directory is allocated on S Drive:

PROD: 15 GB Available

QAS: 8.5 GB Available

Table sizes:

ACCTIT66.002.352
MSEG39.454.912
BSIS38.123.928
COEP33.155.568
FAGLFLEXA30.072.312
ACCTCR22.664.288
RFBLG16.532.072
FAGL_SPLINFO15.323.288
DYNPSOURCE14.334.728
PPOIX

Thank you for your support

Regards,

J

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Johann,

Can i Terminate Remote Client Copy, transport tables and run post client copy task manually? Transport only the last remaining 4 Tables:

ACCTIT

COEP

BSIS

S033

Here the situation is : Do we know how many reports are executed as a part of post client copy task ?

It is not recommended to interrupt the client copy, export tables and run post client copy tasks manually.

Copying 700GB using client copy method with such a minimal hardware resource will definitely take time. You could look for options of increasing the number of R3trans processesses and other optimization processes using SAP Note 489690 - CC INFO: Copying large production clients

Regards,

Deepak Kori