Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User and Grous Migration From 3.1 to 4.1

former_member280203
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi All,

i am planing to do migration from BO 3.1 to BI 4.1.
i am planning to follow incremental approach for reports ,universes and instances..etc by department wise.

what is the best approach to migrate users& groups and security rights??.

If i migrate all the users and groups first followed by report folders by department wise, will all the security rights exist for the users and groups  in BI 4.1  after the migration.

please let me know which is the best way for users migration.

Regards,

Divi.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hellou,

I have already migrate a univers, reports and folder without user, group and security.

How can I migrate the user security of the objects? or How can I do it without losing the objects?

Thank you very much,

former_member280203
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Mark,

based on my migration experiance, I noticed security on the folders will be lost if you migrate the folders&reports first.there are two possibities to retain the same security IN 4.1.

If you have not done any changes in bi 4.1 for the reports and universes then follow two steps

1. Migrate all the users ,groups& access levels

2. Re migrate the folders & reprots & universes . In this case security will be retained on the folders and universes.

if you have perfomed any changes then

1.Migrate all the users ,groups& access levels

2. Re apply the security on each folder in 4.1.

Regards,

Divi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Divi,

A user can be a member of multiple departments; so there is a probablity of lossing security if we migrate the users department wise.

Best apparoach I'd sugest is to migrate all the users and groups at 4.1 system first, then you can move your Connections, Universes and reports.

This way we can retain the existing security structure.

Regards,
Mahesh

former_member280203
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Mahesh.

former_member280203
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Mahesh,

i feel along with users and groups we need to migrate custom access levels also first.

then we retain the security on the folders.

Regards,

Divi.

Former Member
0 Kudos

As part of incremental upgrade, you need to migrate all the users, groups and security levels (Custom access levels) in the initial phase of the migration.

Ensure that you are not adding any users, groups or creating new access level in 3.1 after the inital phase of migration. If you are performing any of these activities after the migration, please keep track of those items.

Fix a freeze period for each department folder by giving an heads-up that there will not be any report promotion \ user access request performed during this period of time.

Later you can migrate all the other objects (Connections, Universe, reports) by department wise. When you perform this migration, we can retain the security on the folders without any issues.

pavan_k11
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Follow the below procedure to complete your migration:

1. promote users , groups , custom access levels with security in batch1
  2. promote all dependent objects like universe,connection,server groups , events etc in batch2 with their user security
  3. Promote reports in public folder ,inboxes and favorites in batch3.

If you are using third party authentication(AD/LDAP) then first configure it in your destination system and then go with the migration procedure.

Keep the above as guidelines and then plan your promotions.

Tools available for this : Promotion Management in CMC and LCM Command line utility for bulk promotions