cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calling an external URL from cProject

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello PPM Experts,

We want few of the cProject objects (e.g. checklist items, tasks) to point out to an external web pages (i.e. URL).

I guess I need to use "object links" tab for this and define a custom object type (say, ZEXTURL) in the IMG node 'Define Object Types for Object Links'.

Is this a correct approach or is there any other way?

Also, for the object link ZEXTURL, please let me know what should I enter in following fields of the IMG node.

Key

Identification

Proxy Class

Web Server

We want to achieve this without any coding / custom development. Please let me know whether that would be possible.

Regards,

Bhushan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

TudorRiscutia
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Bhushan,

Object links are intended for links with other SAP modules or systems. For example, you can link a task in PPM with a PS Network in an ERP. PPM and ERP can be either installed together or on different SAP systems. In order to find development-free object links possibilities, search for "CL_R3_OLR3*" classes in your system.

My point is, if you want to create a custom object type (ZEXTURL), you'll have to write some coding. Although, in the Object Links database table, the actual information related to an object (E.g. some master data fields for a Material) is saved in xml format. Therefore you don't need an additional database table, but you'll have to create your OLR3 class.

To be honest, I only had to do this once. Even though I had the job done, it might be that my solution isn't optimal.

Good luck and if you find an alternative, please share it!

Tudor

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ravi_ekambaram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Bhushan,

Object links are mainly meant to link other SAP business objects. For linking external web pages to a task / checklist item, you can use the long description or Notes or by creating a document by checking in as URL. If you are looking for multiple URLs to a task, then 3rd option could be better.

Hope this helps..

Regards,

Ravi