cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to handle sharing with external users / groups

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

We are using Mobile Documents for internal purposes and the user Management is connected to our Active Directory.

Now we want to use Mobile Documents for collaboration with external users (for example sharing files with external participants in Projects)

What would be the best way for this Scenario ?

Creating a shared Folder and share a public link?
or

Create users in the Web AS, create Folder and invite the new users to the Folder?

An additional question: Is it possible to share a single file with a public link?

Regards

Andreas Czech

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member186016
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

There is no recommendation as such. It depends on your use-case.

Usually, if the external users will continue collaboration over a longer period of time, having user created for her would be helpful.

If sharing has to be done only in few cases, public link (with password for security) will be useful.

Shares are folder. With SP2, you can share link to folders only.

With SP3, even links to files inside the Shared folders can be shared.

Please note, the public link and team members management will still happen in Share level.

Regards,

Ashwani Kr Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have another question regarding collaboration with external users:

As far as I can see, you can select public link and users at the same time. So my question is, what is the sharing-logic if you select both options at the same time?

Regards,

Andreas

former_member186016
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

If both are selected, users selected can access the share according to the roles assigned.

And anyone (incl. members of share) can use the public link, to access share according to write flag enabled\disabled. The public links is valid for a time frame.

Share never expires but public link does.

Regards, Ashwani Kr Sharma

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

thank you for the clarification.

I was wondering because I am a member of an folder (with both options selected) and on the overview of shared documents I can see next to the folder-name the time frame restriction "noch 21 Tage" (which in this case should not be relevant, as I am a member/user) ...

Regards,

Andreas

former_member186016
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

21 days remaining is relevant for expiry of public link to the share.

The share itself never expires or get deleted or access permission are not revoked.

Regards, Ashwani Kr Sharma