cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endless phase (SUM) - MAIN_SHDIMP/SUBMOD_SHD2_RUN/RUN_RSGEN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

I´m doing an update support packges activity in our Solution Manager 7.1 SR1 system, the SPS12. I´m doing this activity with the latest version of SUM tool, but now I´m stucked in the Preprocessing phase MAIN_SHDIMP/SUBMOD_SHD2_RUN/RUN_RSGEN

This phase is taking so long time... is an endless phase, this is running in this same phase at two days!

I see in SM37, in the shadow instance, two endless jobs:

- RSPARAGENER8M

- RSGEN_GENER8_SHADOW

I also checked two log files in the SUM directory:

- RSGEN.SM1

- RSGEN.LOG

I see in the file RSGEN.LOG the following entries:

A4 ETSGEN 312 Job "RSPARAGENER8M"("17235500") for machine type "562" still has "73626" object(s) to process

In the SAP note 1878193 (Central Note - Software Update Manager 1.0 SP10 [lmt_006]) I read a notification regarding this type of message:

"---------------------< D024828 MAR/04/2014 >--------------------------

Updating to SAP Business Suite 7 Innovation 2013 SP3: Endless loop in MAIN_SHDIMP/SUBMOD_SHD2_RUN/RUN_RSGEN

In certain cases, the phase MAIN_SHDIMP/SUBMOD_SHD2_RUN/RUN_RSGEN might loop endlessly.

You could identify such a case by inspecting the (temporary) log file <SUM-Directory>/abap/tmp/RSGEN.<SID>. At the end

of this log file there could be a lot of similar entries such as

A4 ETSGEN 312 Job "RSPARAGENER8M"("xxxxxxxx") for machine type "xxx" still has "nn" object(s) to process” where nn stays constant over time

If you encounter such a case during your update procedure, report an incident on the component BC-ABA-LA."

Can you tell me please if anyone faced the same problem and how can you solved it?

Can you help me please?

Kind regards,

samid raif

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

cornel_scheidtnasz
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hello,

the upgrade thinks the Jobs RSUPG_SGEN_GENER8 and RSUPG_SGEN_GENER8_JOB are still running. But they don't.

Solution: connect to shadow instance as user DDIC, goto SM37, select active jobs, and menu "Job" - "check status". SM37 will correct the status to "Canceled".

The upgrade will start the phase from the beginning, and start two new batch jobs.

best regards

Cornel Scheidtnasz

0 Kudos

Generation can be stopped with report RSUPG_SGEN_ABORT_SHADOW (under DDIC in shadow instance client 000). SGEN generates in parallel with packages. So after report run it takes some time to finish already started packages.
Check SAP note 2475935 - ABAP upgrade : How to skip phase RUN_SGEN_GENER8 on shadow instance.
Update: I launched that report twice. But SGEN has not stopped. So it does not work....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Everyone for sharing ideas.

There was another system running on this server along with this shadow and the actual instance.This has added extra load on memory consumption on the entire server. After shutting down the other system I did re-initialize this phase (MAIN_SHDIMP/SUBMOD_SHD2_RUN/RUN_RSGEN) and then the SGEN started progressing slowly and finally completed in another 3 hours.

use swapinfo -tam to check the memory consumption.if its >85% then need to find a way to reduce it.logs under <upgrade-directory>/SUM/abap/tmp/RSGEN.<SID> must give the indication that the count for objects to be generated is gradually decreasing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

anyone can please let me know which system i should shutdown

shadow system or actual system??

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am facing a similar issue.

In fact Upgrade phase "RUN_RSGEN" completed successfully as per RSGEN.LOG.

But the upgrade screen is stuck in this phase and no logs are getting updated.

My shadow instance is deleted by SUM. However the original SAP instance is up and running though. Shall I stop SAP of the original instance?

Thanks,

Sameer

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Samid,

Did you find a solution for this problem?I am also upgrading my CRM system to a target release 703 on HP-UX platform and in pre-processing during phase MAIN_SHDIMP/SUBMOD_SHD2_RUN/RUN_RSGEN, SGEN is running endlessly from past 5 days. I am using SUM version 1.0 SP11 for which there is no mention of this problem in its central note.I have already raised a message to SAP but can you share your inputs in the mean time in case you were able to resolve it in your case?

former_member185239
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Abhishek,

If possible , delete the content of GENSETM table from shadow system database.

truncate table SAPSR3SHD.GENSETM;

Then run the sgen manually after the upgrade.

With Regards

Ashutosh Chaturvedi

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Raise a message as the notes say and check a similar thread