Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comprehension question concerning Table POWL_QUERY

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello POWL-Enthusiasts,

System Information:

DEV/QAS: NW AS 7.03 ABAP Stack 731 Level 11, ECC 606 (EHP 6) with SAP_HR 604 Level 73 and EA_HR 607 (HR-Renewal 1) Level 24

PROD: NW AS 7.03 ABAP Stack 731 Level 9, ECC 606 (EHP 6) with SAP_HR 604 Level 73 and EA_HR 607 (HR-Renewal 1) Level 24

Problem/Question:

With respect to the following thread I would like to discuss the behaviour and the influence of the table POWL_QUERY upon query-application during runtime and the report POWL_D01.

Having changed several standard POWL queries and applying Layout-Variants to them I'm now facing the following system behaviour which I cannot understand and most likely have to rendered it a standard error:

Use Case: Application FITV_POWL_TRIPS, Assuming there are no user-derived queries and no active queries in the cache.

These are the default queries (including layout variants) I, the developer, have created in the Customizing for Table POWL_QUERY:

TA POWL_QUERY

A Poll on the Table POWL_QUERY for entries which have "ESS_WEIGELT" (that's my test user) for the field "CREATOR" returns no results (all is clean so far).

When I now open the application FITV_POWL_TRIPS with one of my test users who has access to two of these queries via Role assignment, on the initial startup, for a very short moment I see the two tabs (queries) with the respective layouts defined by me...:

APP FITV_POWL_TRIPS on startup

...but as soon as the initial refresh has been processed, "user derived queries" (that's how it's termed in the source code) are created from the default queries and written to POWL_QUERY, and these queries are then polled for the POWL-configuration:

APP FITV_POWL_TRIPS after initial refresh:

Poll on Table POWL_QUERY for CREATOR = "ESS_WEIGELT":

This leads me to the following questions:

My layouts set in the default queries are never applied, because only the autogenerated user-derived queries are polled, so what IS the point of designing layouts in the first place? Is it technically even correct that these strange user-derived queries (flagged with "admin") are written into table POWL_QUERY? This is just so horribly confusing.

To make things even more confusing I have tested the behaviour of queries on all our Systems DEV/QAS/PORD. The Problem (layout not being applied correctly) I demonstrated above in the application only appears on DEV and QAS which are on Stack 731/11, but not on PROD which is on 731/9 at the moment; however the behaviour of the table POWL_QUERY (containing both default and user-derived queries) is equal on all three systems, so why are the layouts correctly applied on PROD? I can't possibly make any sense of that.

One additional point to top the whole thing off. Assuming I am making changes to the default queries, I will of course run POWL_D01 on the respective systems before transporting the new queries to clear the cache. However, the Report POWL_D01 does not consider the user-derived queries in POWL_QUERY and they remain there as zombie-entries forever. I.e. the updated default queries never take effect. Refer to Mathieu's post I marked as correct in

Folks, what do you make of all that?...

Cheers, Lukas

P.S. I'm not unhappy either if somebody RTFM-slaps me in case I've just made some stupid mistakes as long as I get to understand what's going on.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Solved after applying the following SAP Notes

I still don't understand how and why it works but oh well.

Cheers, Lukas

Answers (0)