cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Synchronous message troubleshooting Request/Response?

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear experts,

I have a synchronous RFC to Web service interface and I'm using SAP PI 7.3 and I've set the LOGGING_SYNC to '1'.

I know that for a synchronous interface, there will be a request and a response message. So for a single interface I would have to entries in SXI_MONITOR, something like:

Request/ResponseSender InterfaceReceiver Interface
RequestRFC_AWebService_A
ResponseWebService_ARFC_A

1 day I see an "java.net.UnknownHostException: acme.com" error. Where acme.com is the Web service target URL.

What I wonder is that I see the error detail at the Response message but I expect to see the error detail (UnknownHostException) at the Request message because I guess the one that should be looking for host acme.com is the Request message not the Response message.

- I mean for every error Request message I see the pair Response message, even when it seems that the error is when the request was sent not when the response was sent. How could there be a Response message if PI cannot even send the Request to the target URL, who creates the response?

- How can we tell if the error was when PI was unable to send the request/when PI was unable to send the response (might be because resource/connection was unavailable at the time).

- Is it that the error will always be recorded at the Response message even when the error happens when processing the Request message for synchronous interfaces?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

It depends. There are several variables.

You could have a communication error with the third party. Is the IP address reachable from PI? Is it an internal or a external IP? If it is an internal PI should be mapped to the external IP. Are you using a proxy or not?

Maybe you would need a certificate. Sometimes an error hides other erros like this.

In some PI releases exists a bug with https URLs. In this case you should add the port 443 to the URL.

A very important factor is the inbound adapter used in the integration. Are you using SOAP or HTTP? Do you have a Java stack only or ABAP also? Depending of the stacks adapter uses integration engine or not. This factor affects the monitoring way.

In case of SOAP you could be using release 1.1 and you need 1.2. Not all the PI releases have 1.2 reléase available. It can be changed using modules and without soap envelope.

Synchronous interfaces with succesful traces dissapear from the monitoring. They can be activated by the admin. You can watch the log from integration engine or adapter to check where the problems occurs.

Are you using fault error in the web service? Sometimes is not defined but it's necessary. This is one of the ways of returning errors in a handy way, others means to use the returning payload

suwandi_cahyadi
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi J.H

Thank you for the reply.

I believe the inbound adapter is SOAP 1.1 and we do have dual stack Java+ABAP.

Does it mean that every error will be recorded at the response message? So to be sure whether the error occur at the request or the response, we have to check the response message for the detail.

Is there any documentation for the synchronous interface pipeline?

Thank you,

Suwandi C.

Answers (0)