cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Client Deletion Takes long time

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Need help, Every month in our quality system we do client refresh so we delete existing data from quality and take export from production and Import into quality.Client Import takes 15 hrs but to delete client  it almost takes 36 hrs. There are PCL4/2/1 tables which takes more time to delete the data even not sure they will delete all the data.Looks like these are cluster tables so what can be do to have more optimize client deletion.

To delete client from OS level is is safer side?  What can be other ways...?

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is an article written by Daniel Lippmann to speed up client deletion.

http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-54051

You basically truncate the big tables which are used only by the client and then trigger the client deletion.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for quick response . But There are PCL4 /3/2 tables which  are cluster and these are big in size so  might be these are dependent on other clients too. So it can be risk.

Do you have any idea about client delete from OS level is it good way?

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I do not touch the cluster tables.

Deleting the client from the OS level is done (What I am aware of) using R3trans.

More information : R3trans and Clients - Transport Tools (BC-CTS-TLS) - SAP Library

There were claims that this process is faster than the normal client deletion but there won't be a huge difference (based on my experience).

Regards

RB

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Here  is the system  component details.Basically this is HR landscape all payroll team usage the PCL4/2/1 tables. So I'm doubtful  about these tables whether we can truncate the data then proceed for the client deletion. because these cluster tables.

i

SAP_BASIS  700           SP28

PI_BASIS     2006_1_700   SP0018

SAP_APPL   600   SP23

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks folks for your  valuable suggestion. Let you know once our Test plan works.

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

PCL4 is not a cluster, at least on Ehp6 at DB level it is a transparent table, that means that the table does exist at both SAP & DB level.

There is a way to process deletion faster, at least for Oracle (but it could also work for other DB)

Create a new temporary table table with a CTAS command (copy table as select) to only include the data for the clients you want to keep.

You can then drop the original table and rename the temporary table to the original name.

Watch out CTAS does not copy indexes, constraints and default values.

If you are using Oracle DB datapump query parameter can be the best option.

You could export the data for the client you want to keep (setting a "query" option like query=" where MANDT in ('200', '300')") , truncate the table and import back the data.

The point here is that copying / inserting new records is faster than deleting.

Regards

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Madhur,

Why do you need to delete the client in the quality system?

You can as well perform client copy without deleting it.

What are the profiles that you export?

Thanks,

Pavan

Former Member
0 Kudos

Pavan- We export  SAP_ALL profile from PRD. Due to space issue we delete it instead of overlapping.

Thanks

Madhur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay, in that case finding out the huge tables and truncating them is a better option, by using RSTABLESIZE report.

Thanks,

Pavan