cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Standard Sql scripting Vs CE built-in functions ? Which one should I need to choose?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

My source is csv files and I need to load these source files into HANA after doing some Transformations based on multiple validations (for example , based on grade, some new column has to be populated with some relevant hikes i.e. need to use if/else logic, case logic, either insert or update in target table …etc. This validation should be done for each and every row).

Assume some of the validations not possible through BODS and I need to implement this logic in HANA scripting (through procedures).

I know HANA supports two kinds of writing scripts i.e. HANA standard sql statements and CE_functions and I’ve heard from HANA documentation that CE functions gives more performance than standard sql statements and we should not mix together in a single block of code.

Please let me know which scenario should I go for?  (I doubt if we can do all the functionalities using CE functions?

I am looking forward to your reply.

Thanks,

Sree

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Was my question not clear ??

Thanks,

sree

KulDeepJain
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Sree,

I cant elaborate more, with CE functions you can do parallel processing. Yes sometime CE functions are not enough to achieve our requirement then we have to go for Sql Scripting.

Above diagram tell a lot ....

Former Member
0 Kudos

Much awaited reply.

Thanks a lot Jain !

But just one more point to bring out, if some of requirements can be done through both CE functions and Scripting,  and some are possible through only scripting then we need to go for sql scripting only ..as we are not supposed to bring both the coding standards together, results in performance issues. ( Even your diagram shows either CE functions or Use SQL)

am i right?

Thanks,

Sree

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sreedhar,

Yes you are right. Never mix up code with CE functions and SQL script. If all your requirements can be done with CE functions, then go with CE functions. If atleast one function cannot be done with CE, change entire code to SQL scripting only. Reason behind this is, if we mix CE and SQL sqripts, at execution time data and control has to hop between different engines and thereby degrades performance of the query.

Hope this clears your doubt.

Regards,

Chandu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you both Chandra and Jain, for your valuable inputs.

Thanks,

Sree

former_member186082
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Sreedhar,

Please close the thread if your query is answered, so that helps others while searching.

Regards,

Chandu.