cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PI 7.3 Back up strategy Pros and cons of a PreProd Environment

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello experts

My discussion is about PI architectural strategy and would like your valuable inputs on the topic . I am a newbie when it comes to PI system design and basis activities sp please excuse my lack of knowledge.

1. I would like to to know what are best practices for backing up PI systems ( how often , what needs backing up etc..)

2. When a system copy from LIVE is performed on a system how can we prevent Communication channels from processing LIVE data?

3. What are the Pos and cons of having a Pre prod PI system ? ( how is preprod configured so that it never processes LIVE data ) ?

4. Is it a good practice to isolate PI systems from the rest of SAP stack so that PI is viewed as an independent middle ware application? This is to avoid  PI being dragged on to patching , upgrade train along with other systems in SAP landscape.

Looking forward to your replies !

Regards

Venkat.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

1. I would like to to know what are best practices for backing up PI systems ( how often , what needs backing up etc..)

>>>> If you don't get any response here, may be you can post this question @

Help Documentation : Backup/Restore and Recovery - Administering Process Integration (PI) - SAP Library

2. When a system copy from LIVE is performed on a system how can we prevent Communication channels from processing LIVE data?

>>>> Before taking system copy, make sure that the communication channels are in stopped state so that when it is restored the channel would be in the same state.

You must adjust the channel configurations before starting them.

3. What are the Pos and cons of having a Pre prod PI system ? ( how is preprod configured so that it never processes LIVE data ) ?

>>> It depends on your existing architecture.It should be inline with your ECC system.

But just for the sake of backup, having an additional pre-prod  system might not be a good idea. I feel it's unnecessary maintenance. (how is preprod configured so that it never processes LIVE data - the only way is change the channel configurations in pre-prod)

4. Is it a good practice to isolate PI systems from the rest of SAP stack so that PI is viewed as an independent middle ware application? This is to avoid  PI being dragged on to patching , upgrade train along with other systems in SAP landscape

>>>I don't think so. Even PI requires regular patching and upgrades.

P.S. It's recommended that PI system is on the higher version in any landscape.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Hareesh for your replies .

Questions 2 and 3 where my concern is when a back up is done to Preprod or DR systems , can we prevent from overwriting comm channel parameters ?  without needing to stop them in LIve each time ?

How are backups made to preprod ? would they keep overwriting comm channel parameters with Live ?

former_member184720
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry. Regarding the back-up and i don't have much information to share.

Questions 2 and 3 where my concern is when a back up is done to Preprod or DR systems , can we prevent from overwriting comm channel parameters ?  without needing to stop them in LIve each time

>>> You don't need to stop the channels during the regular backup.

But when you are taking the system copy to build a parallel system(build pre-prod using the copy of Prod system) then you should stop the channels.