cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navigating to the next item within an edit transaction - Agentry

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi;

I am working on SAP Work Manager 6.0 customizing using Agentry 6.1.3. I am using the windows .NET client for testing and the application is deployed to an android 4.0.4 device. I have this edit transaction that enables users to edit objects by clicking on an item from a tile list, clicking on the item from the tile list opens up the edit transaction screen. The requirement is to use navigation buttons to navigate between the different items from within the edit screen, that is, the user should be able to navigate to the next item to be edited from the edit transaction screen, without having to go out and select another item from the tile list to edit. So there would be 2 arrow buttons, 1 for forward (>) and 1 for back (<), clicking on back would take you to the previous item and clicking forward would take you to the next button, all happening within the edit transaction screen. Please kindly advise as to how best I would be able to achieve this requirement.

Your input is very much appreciated!

Thanks and Regards;

Sizo Ndlovu

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

jason_latko
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Sizo,

You can't do this in Agentry.  A transaction screen cannot run actions.  You cannot add your push buttons because they would fire actions.  You could run a looping action that loops over the list from the selected row to the end and runs the edit action against each row.  The user would terminate this by hitting cancel on an item.  This technique is typically used to eliminate having to select the next item and click edit each time.

Jason Latko - Senior Product Developer at SAP

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason;

Thank you for the prompt response. I will try and have this implemented the way that you have suggested and revert back to you!!

Thanks and Regards;

Sizo Ndlovu

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ok, I got this! I had to move the main transaction with the update step from the item edit action to the new looping action, just unedrneath the looping subaction.

Thank you, much appreciated!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Jason, Bill;

I have implemented a looping action like you have pointed out, but it does not display the edit screen for each item in the list, rather, it shows the edit screen for the singled selected item and updates the first one and puts the same value for the rest of the items in the list, without opening the edit screen for the rest of them, please see below how I have implemented this:

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks and Regards;

Sizo Ndlovu

bill_froelich
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Sizo,

I don't think you will be able to achieve exactly the scenario you outline due to the nature of a transaction.   A transaction is designed to edit a specific object.  From within that transaction it doesn't have the proper context to know about the other objects that might be available for editing.

What we do in the products is setup an action to loop over the list which will enable a similar process where by the user is taken automatically to the next item in the list (and can cancel out of the loop) after completing the edit on the first item.  The user can also possibly select the starting point from the list so as not to have to start from the beginning each time but navigation forward is the only direction supported.

Where you have to be careful is if the user chooses not to edit the item your transaction will have to be setup correctly in terms of validation rules to allow the edit to complete with no changes.  So if there is a blank field that normally would require a value you typically have a validation rule setup to not allow the user to complete the edit unless they fill in that field.

Hopefully this will help point you in the right direction.

--Bill