cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any alternatives to modify context node's attribute type of a standard WD comp

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Apart from explicit enhancement, is/are there any alternatives to modify context node's attribute type of a standard WD comp.

This is the actual requirement. There is a field in WD screen having 40 char length. Now it should be increase for 100 char. It can be done through explicit enhancement. Other than explicit enhancement, any alternate option?

Thanks in advance...

Regards,

Suresh   

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

Any inputs regarding this?

Thanks,

Suresh

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

In my opinion, no.

What's wrong with using an explicit enhancement by the way?

Cheers, Lukas

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for your reply.

My intention is... without an access key, are they any other ways to modify the WD context node's attributes?

Suresh.

Lukas_Weigelt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

HI Suresh,

Now I'm confused and after re-reading the posts of this thread, I'd like to emphasize the difference between modifications and enhancements, because it seems to me like you are not aware there is a difference (because you interchangably used the terms modifications and enhancements).

Modifications are manipulations of a standard repository objects directly in the standard object's source and require an access key. In my opinion there is never never never the necessity, never, to modify a WebDynpro ABAP component.

Enhancements technically are inherited objects from the standard ones. Enhancements are not modifications, hence you never need an access key. From my experience, everything within a WebDynpro ABAP Component can be manipulated within an explicit enhancement. There are restrictions to the changes you can do within the design time, but with dynamic programming you can manipulate everything in runtime, the context, the bindings, events, actions, the UI elements, everything.

Cheers, Lukas

harsha_jalakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Suresh,

If you have change/modify a standard webdynpro component, enhancement needs to be implemented.Be the change might be like changing/creating the context node/adding new attribute/, etc.

Enhancement in Webdynpro ABAP

Enhancing a controller | Team ABAP

Regards,

Harsha

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for the reply Mr.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Changing the context type of context attribute?? but why should you do so directly on the WD context? Models of standard applications are defined by standard structures/service calls, changing them directly on the context level would have major implications for sure...

I would suggest that you analyze all the possibilities, like checking if you have any additional fields that you can re-use, or if you can add new filed on structure etc., Make best use of enhancement framework to change behavior of your application.

Br,

Nadh