cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force rotate trace files

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

In our environment, statistics server is in trouble and we are planning to fix it.

Before fixing the issue, I'd like to force to rotate trace files of HANA because they are getting too large.

Are there any way to manually rotate trace files?

Megumi

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Sorry, but the question doesn't really make sense.

Which trace files *exactly* are you talking about?

And how would rotating the trace files reduce the disk space usage?

Have you tried deleting the trace files you don't want any longer?

Or "archiving" them like I described here

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Lars,

In current situation, trace files are getting larger and larger since statistics server can't check the size of trace files such as indexserver_<host>.<port>.<number>.trc.

I mean, instead of waiting automatic file rotation, I'd like to end writing current trace file and start a new trace file manually. I don't mind the number of files but size of files.

Thanks,

Megumi

lbreddemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, how large are the files now?

Usually the file size is limited to 10 MB. After that the process writing into them switches to a new file.

You can check the current settings in parameter file global.ini • [trace]:

maxalertfilesize: 50000000

maxfiles: 10

maxfilesize: 10000000

Just change the maximum size of trace files to what you consider better.

Besides that there is no supported way to force a switch for the trace files.

And again: what's the point? 10 MB is not terribly large and having more files doesn't make it easier to deal with them...

- Lars

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yes, the parameters have been set, however check function, statistics server, is not working right now for an error. We are planning to fix the root cause but still need time to take downtime.

Some files reaches almost 30MB and it's not easy to handle with. That's why I'd like to switch trace files manually.

Megumi