cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the use of creating a detail object on a measure.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

In BI 4.X business layer, we can create a detail object of a dimension and as well as measure.

Can you please let me know what could be the use of the detail object of a measure object?

In the business layer, it is showing like this...

<Measure object>

-><Detail Object>

Dimensions have attributes, we create those attributes as details objects.

when we want to see the different grains of the measure in one report. we will use these details objects.

Example:

1. Query 1 returns country, sales revenue

2. Query 2 Returns Country,State,Sales revenue.

But in the report if we want to show the State wise Revenue. It is not possible bcz both the quires are returning different grain.

state object is incompatible object, so you can't drag the object into report.

in this scenario we will merge the Country dimension , create the state object as details with merged dimension, then you can drag the state details detail object.

this will give expected results Country and State wise revenue.

Normally Dimensions and details objects will drives the measures values in report.

So, Detail object on measure not helpful in case of relational database(Please correct me if i am wrong). It is useful only for OLAP database because when I have created a webi report on top of BEx query then it is automatically created a detail object on measure object.

As far I know, 'Measure attribute' introduced for OLAP based business layer. which can provides information for the formatted value like unit, currency or value.

For example:-

Amount is key figure in BEx query and when I have created Webi report on top of that then it will create three object.

1. Amount as meausre.

->2. Amount currency(detail).

->3. Amount formatted value(detail).

Below is the output after running the report.

Amount || Amount currency || Amount formatted value

30 || $ || 30.00

8 || $ || 8.00

I have found one difference, We can't implement the index awareness on detail object which we have created on measure object although we can implement the index awareness on detail object which we have created on top dimension object.

But Still I am looking for good example of Detail object on measure object..

Any thought would be welcome...

Thanks,

Sachin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I moved this to the Semantic Layer space for faster response.