cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP CLM with multiple SAP ECC backends

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Gurus,

Is it possible to integrate SAP CLM with multiple backend systems?

I know as per standard multiple ECC integration is possible only for Supplier Integration, but will it be possible to have a multiple contexts in SAP CLM integrated with different SAP ECC backend systems ?

We are on SAP CLM 9.0 with ECC 6.0 Enh Pack 6.0

Thanks,

Arijeet

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikoletta and Prasad,

First of all thank you for your prompt responses. I truly appreciate it.

Secondly, maybe I could explain the business scenario in a little more detail.

The landscape has different SAP ECC systems for different countries. Also users of one sub context should not be able to access data and documents of other sub context.

1. Assuming we create a child context per country I was thinking of replicating master data from each SAP ECC backend into a corresponding child context. For eg: Company Codes from ECC1 to be   replicated to SubContext1, Company Codes from ECC2 to SubContext2. Am I correct in assuming that the Company Codes in SubContext1 will not be visible to users of SubContext2 and vice versa.
  2. I was thinking of defining only one business system per sub context. For eg: The business system for ECC1 will be defined in SubContext1, ECC2 in SubContext2 etc. Am I right in assuming this would be supported in SAP CLM 9.0? I understand that within Integrated System Configuration (ISC) we can define only one entry per backend system type. But if we define the ISC per sub context will the system allow me to define different backend system configurations?
  3. Since the users from different countries would be uploaded in the corresponding sub context, the Master Agreement would be published to the corresponding SAP ECC system as Outline agreements. Am I thinking correctly ? What kind of modifications in PI mapping do we have to handle? I assumed that since each sub context will have its own set of data there wouldn't be a need to modify the standard PI interfaces and mappings.

Any pointers on the above queries will be very helpful.

Thanks,

Arijeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

When we integrated SAP Sourcing w7 with 2 back-end system (highly-highly custom), we only used one context so I am not sure you need two, but I never needed to do it in wave 9, so I do not want to mislead you. - just thinking if we did not need it there, why would you need it in a higher version.

But your different ERP systems will have a different logical system ID so for any kind of master data, that will help you most for the PI logic.

For the MAs, yes, if there is a 1:1 relationship between the system and the multiple contexts, then if you specifies these in PI, all documents, master data and so on will only flow between the corresponding systems.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Nikoletta,

Since the user of one country should not view the data of another country I thought of creating sub contexts (one per country).

Lets assume a scenario with just one context (and multiple back-end). In this case I guess it would not be possible to define multiple Integrated System Configuration entries for each back-end system. So how would we handle the Business System information in Master data (lets say Materials) ?

Also, using a single context would mean that we might have to create additional fields for passing Company Code, Back-end logical system etc and subsequently customize the mappings in PI too ? Is that correct?

This is the first time I am handling a scenario with multiple back-end systems so pardon me if some of my questions are very basic .

Thanks,

Arijeet

Former Member
0 Kudos

It is possible to define multiple back-end systems with one context, that is how we have done it.

The business system information, for example materials had a company code on it. One company code was only available in one back-end. For example material 12345678 was used by company code 1000 - we have integrated one SAP and one non-SAP environment.

So, if material 12345678 (material ID) can only be found in one of your ECC systems, then the company code will determine to PI which system to send agreements or POs, that contain this particular material number.

OR

You can use the system-unique company code (or plant) defined on the document line item as well (that way you don't need to do a look-up on the material master data).

If the material numbers or company codes duplicate between the ECC systems, you will have to find (or create) something on the material master for example, that makes it unique. This can be a check box filled by PI when you replicate from ECC1 for example.

You only need the custom fields if the company codes can be found in ECC1 and ECC2 as well. The company code the users will be assigned to can be used to limit visibility as well, so you don't have to worry about unauthorized peeking.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Arijeet,

Have you thought about how you will deal with the other Master data and customizing data coming from different ERP systems .. what about the Business documents in SAP CLM dont they need to be all accessible to all the users..

If you plan to integrate with mulitple ECC backends you can try to accomplish this by changes in the PI and managing the distributions to ECC systems.. Using the contexts may not be the best way..

Prasad

Former Member
0 Kudos

You can always add a custom field to the master data to differentiate materials (or use company code which is there by standard if I remember correctly).

The vendors have this information by default anyway once they are "true vendors", therefore in replicated status (on the integration tab).

For the business documents, only those groups will have visibility who are on the document as collaborators anyway, so I wouldn't worry about that. (you can also default those on the templates if you would be worried about having to add a bunch of people all the time).

As for the document, yes, it can still only flow to the respective back-end system if PI is provided with the right logic (for example, the material data quoting the right company code -> provided that is only relevant for one of the systems).

Bests,

Niki

Former Member
0 Kudos

Also, Sourcing w9 supports multiple system integrations, so it will not even have to be a heavily customized.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi there,

It is definitely possible. You will need a very good PI consultant but it is possible. The LOGSYS and company code (or the document owner potentially) will be your differentiator if you are using two SAP systems. If one of them is a non-SAP environment, you can use document types as well for example.

Hope this helps.

Bests,

Niki