cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LMDB: How do I set the "Install" checkbox for a software component.

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

I am trying to create a maintenance transaction for a NetWeaver BW system.  I have been trying to solve this problem for a day and a half.

I value your help, but please read the entire message before you respond.

The problem

In maintenance optimiser step 2.4 (Select OS/DB Dependent Files) I get three messages:

• "Mark relevant instance to include the software component SEM-BW 604 in SMSY/LMDB"

and ditto for FINBASIS 604 and SAP_BS_FOUNDATION 701.

Environment

Solution manager is 7.1 SP8

All setup has been done except for the Introscope configuration (because I have never, ever seen anyone use it, anywhere.)

Analysis

• In LMDB, the BW product system verification returns green
  • The three components are definitely installed in the BW system
  • The three components are listed in the LMDB Software Component Versions tab but the Product Assigned checkbox is not set.
    • And it is grey so it cannot be changed
  • The Product Instances tab has an Add button, and the "Proposal for Unassigned Software Components" option proposes SAP SEM
    • But the "Installed" checkbox resets itself automatically when it is selected.
  • The system is a recent copy of another, using a new name that Solman (and SLD, and SMSY, and LMDB) have never seen before.
    • So there should be no accumulated cruft in SLD, SMSY or LMDB for this system.
  • The original system definition was created automatically in the totally correct way, from the SLD by the normal background job
  • The document that should never be needed, "Solution Manager: Special cases for installations and upgrades" says to add product SAP SEM to the technical system's software products list. 
    • This cannot be done in LMDB (although the document claims it can)
    • But it can be done in SLD and I have done it. 
    • In SLD, I can see that this new product is still listed after refresh from RZ70. 
    • It includes all three problem components
    • So in SLD, it all looks correct.

I have refreshed the technical systems from the SLD using report RLMDB_SYNC_ALL_TECH_SYSTEMS, but the new product was not assigned in LMDB and the BW system was unchanged.  The program reported zero errors.

I have deleted the technical system definition for the BW system in LMDB, recreated it, then resynched it using RLMDB_SYNC_TECHNICAL_SYSTEM with the delete option selected, but still it is created with the Netweaver product, but not the SEM product.  The program reported zero errors.

For the technical instance, under Software tab Software Component Versions, the three components are listed but the Product Assigned checkbox is clear and greyed so it cannot be set.

Any attempt to change anything anywhere in LMDB for this system tells me:

• "Software components are supplied automatically for this system."

And the checkbox (which is white and can be set momentarily) is cleared.

For some reason, LMDB refuses to import the SAP SEM product definition from the SLD even though SLD is happy to accept it.

Thank you for your help.

Russ

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why don't you assign this product manually and tick the check box ?

Refer: 2031584 - How to manually assign product instances to systems in LMDB

Divyanshu

russell_day2
Participant
0 Kudos

Divyanshu,

Thank you for your helpful suggestion.  The note did not solve my problem, but the last four lines:

• If there is a warning message that says ‘instance xxx was supplied automatically’, and the ‘Installed’ mark is removed by the system:
    • Add user parameter LMDB_AUTO_DS_OVRWRT with value 06
    • log out and login again
    • Repeat the previous step

were immensely helpful.

I have managed to manually adjust the system definition in LMDB so it now has the three problem software components assigned to an appropriate product version.  They are marked as installed and diagnostics relevant.  But the message is still the same.

I still do not know what "Mark relevant instance" means.  It is a phrase that has absolutely no relevance to LMDB at all.

Thank you again for your help.

Russ.

Answers (0)