cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Single sapdata or Multiple sapdata

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have assigned 6 volumes each 100GB (Disks-LUN) into 1 volumeGroup (raid0) as for sapdata space requirement.

question, Should i create single filesystem-sapdata1 or multiple filesystems(sapdata1 - sapdata6).

whats the best practice for this scenario. appreciate for your wisdom.

System:

ERP EHP7

Sybase ASE 15.7

RHEL6.5

R,

AM

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Dedicated LUNs per VG and then per file system always gives you better I/O.

But again it depends on the configuration of VG/LV's.

Ex: If you have multiple LUNs assigned to one volume group, then create multiple file systems it gives you better performance because I/O is distributed among the LUNs.

That's the reason, having multiple sapdata file systems (even if you have one VG with multiple LUNs) gives you better performance.

Regards,

Nick Loy

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi AM,

I totally agree with Nick. Just to extend to his information,

6 LUNS ( 100 GB) grouped together under single VG of RAID 0 will not yield solution.

RAID 0 neither gives mirroring nor parity. So a disk failure will result in direct data loss.

Suggestion here would be to create VG with RAID 5 or RAID 1 or RAID 10 based on space requirement for SAPDATA.

RAID 5 will give you space of approx 470 GB while RAID 1 / RAID10 will give you only 270 GB.

RAID 5: provides you with parity disk which will act as a fallback if one of the disk fails

RAID 1 : provides you with mirroring. So each disk data is mirrored

RAID10 : IT is called as Nested RAID configuration. It creates a striped set from a series of mirrored drives. The array can sustain multiple drive losses so long as no mirror loses all its drives.

Now a days customers go with RAID 10 ( Production environment) to have better throughput as well as mirroring.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

As it seems that cost and space is a major factor in his scenario - Raid 0/1 or Raid 1 is the best option.

Divyanshu

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi AM,

Ideally you should be having multiple LUNs and then distributed SAPDATA folders across these LUN to have better perofrmance.

As you have created single LUN of 100GB, it does not matter whether you create single SAPDATA or mulitple SAPDATA file systems.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Depends, you can have one or more than one.

Always better to have multiple sapdata file system.

Divyanshu

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

There is no such requirement to have multiple sapdata file systems.

I have systems with just one sapdata file system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Ideally you should create multiple sapdata folders.

Regards,

Nick Loy