cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HANA multi-tenancy feature

Former Member
0 Kudos

1. May i know if HANA supports multi-tenancy on production system now?

2. Also, we found that 'HANA supports the multi-tenancy that built in the application (e.g. CRM) itself'.

Is it about the SAP HANA cloud applications but not for on premises applications?

Is this statement valid and what are the differences between the 1. and 2.?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

0 Kudos

Hi Joey,

in order to get your self an overview on what stands on the whitelist for applications running in a multitenant environment (non-productive/productive), you can access the following SAP-Note:

1661202 - Support for multiple applications on SAP HANA

Taken from SAP-Note 1661202:

"The White list and SAP HANA multitenant database containers:

with SPS09 the feature SAP HANA multitenant database containers (MDC) is introduced.

The restrictions of the "White List" do not apply when each application, component, or scenario is deployed on its own tenant DB in an MDC system.  However, with an MDC system, the restrictions of the White List are relevant when considering which applications, components, and/or scenarios can be deployed together on the same tenant DB in a manner that is supported by SAP. 

In other words, with an MDC system it is supported (for example) to run SAP ERP and SAP BW on the same production SAP HANA system, each one it's own tenant DB. However, it is not supported to run SAP ERP and SAP BW on the same tenant DB due to white list restrictions."

2096000 - SAP HANA multitenant database containers - Additional Information

Taken from SAP-Note 2096000:

"Combining Applications, Szenarios:

MCOD white lists, the restrictions of notes 1661202 (white list of applications / scenarios) and 1826100 (white list relevant when running SAP Business Suite on SAP HANA) are not applicable for MDC systems directly:
These white lists refer to the applications and scenarios that are supported to run together on the same DB in different schemas (now tenant databases).
The white lists give also a kind of guidance about applications which may be best deployed in different tenant databases and thus could be used as a starting point for using MDC.

In the focus section before we referred to SPS09 as to be the solution for MCOS scenarios. We say that with the MDC technology we strive to support all combinations of application, but the very first phase will be rather experimental. Saying this we remind to do good planning and testing jobs before going to production."

Summarizing both notes:

• in MDC systems whitelisted scenarios are supported by SAP
  • whitelist restrictions apply in MDC systems, are relevant
  • whitelist applications can be used as a starting/experimenting point/guidance

--> As from my knowledge there is currently not more information on this. This is the only thing I could find so far.

Hope this helps a bit!

Best regards

Stefan

TomCenens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Joey

Wikipedia meaning:

Multitenancy refers to a principle in software architecture where a single instance of the software runs on a server, serving multiple client-organizations (tenants). Multitenancy contrasts with multi-instance architectures where separate software instances (or hardware systems) operate on behalf of different client organizations. With a multitenant architecture, a software application is designed to virtually partition its data and configuration, and each client organization works with a customized virtual application.

reference: Multitenancy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

1. May i know if HANA supports multi-tenancy on production system now?

There is a pilot program ongoing for VMWare.

So far, such scenario's are not yet officially supported to my knowledge for productive use.

What I understand under multi-tenancy here is that I could for example serve two customers with one HANA appliance, by running both customers ERP on the same HANA appliance (each with their own DB so two HANA database installations on one HANA appliance) and be supported doing that.

So, the word "multi-tenancy" is often misused in my opinion and it depends what the source understands under multi-tenancy, on which level that would be (VM wise or SAP software wise or ...).

If you see multi-tenancy as running both ERP and CRM on a single HANA database then I cannot answer the question as I don't know how much progress was made to make this happen. This is still the vision where things need to move towards, running a single HANA database with all your SAP applications plugged into it.

2. Also, we found that 'HANA supports the multi-tenancy that built in the application (e.g. CRM) itself'.

I don't have the context here and the sentence sounds "strange" but if I had to guess, I would guess they mean that some products can run together. For example ERP sidecar scenario + BW can run on a single HANA database (thus instance).

These combinations are described in SAP notes.

Best regards

Tom