cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reverse Sync from ECC to MDG

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

we have a co-deploy scenario with MDG as an add-on in our ECC system. We have a portal interface(MDG-F) for users to change master data.

usually changes are very few so never had a problem but we recently had a major reorg and had to immediately reflect it into our ECC system for reporting. since the number of changes were high, the business users forced us to update the master data directly into ECC.

assuming a co-deploy option refers to the same master data tables, we assumed the same data will be visible via MDG as well but this does not seem to be the case. We do not see the changes via MDG.

need help here to sync the master data back to MDG and to avoid having to manually enter the data via MDG again. Or if there is any option to make mass changes via MDG.

regards

Yogesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

basically you have broken the most important role of MDG: any data that is governed by MDG should never be changed in the ERP backend. Please consider the same for any future scenarios! MDG can support "emergency changes", e.g. by a simplified workflow template that is assigned to a corresponding change request type (and of cause a very strict authorization who is allowed to use the related CR type).

Additionally your understanding of a "co-deployment" is unfortunately not correct. "Co-deployment" means that from a technical perspective your MDG system runs on the productive ECC instance. The "Hub deployment" would mean, that there are dedicated and separated systems for MDG and the ECC instance. This does not affect the actual storage of active master data!

The storage of master data is defined by the related MDG data model (respectively its entity types). MDG generally supports "Flexible" data models and "Re-Use" data models. "Flexible" means that both inactive and active data are stored within the generated database tables of MDG. "Re-Use" means that only inactive data is stored within the generated tables, but active data is stored in the corresponding ECC tables.

The pre-defined data model of SAP are defined as follows:

• MDG-M: re-use
  • MDG-BP/C/S: re-use
  • MDG-F: flexible

That explains why your ECC changes are not seen in MDG-F. The solve this issue, you have to either perform the same changes in MDG-F, or you could load the data from ECC to MDG-F.

Best regards

Michael

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Michael, Appreciate all the details,

I am not an MDG expert but a Basis guy so my knowledge of this functional area is limited. I am trying to help our finance support team till while they are working to fill our expertise gap for MDG.

I know that MDG Co-deploy means that MDG Add-ons are deployed on ECC and Hub means a standalone deployment. Also I know that when we update data via MDG, it is in Temporary tables but then passes on the actual master tables once workflow is approved. I was not aware it keeps a copy of master data. as inactive and there should be master data into these tables as well for MDG to see it.

Also I understand we need to update Master Data via MDG only. But since this was an emergency, there is no interface available(or there is but we don't know about it) from MDG for Mass updates. We had over 4K rows change and had no time to do it one-by-one via MDG.

From what I understand we will have to develop a code to sync the MDG - F tables from ECC Master tables or manually enter the changes via MDG.

would you be able to tell us what are the tables used by MDG -F which we can look into.

regards

Yogesh

michael_theis
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

If a complete MDG data model or some entity types of the data model are defined as "flexible" it means that the active data is always stored in MDG's tables. If you want to see this data in ECC tables, replication is mandatory. For MDG-F, respectively data model 0G, this is the case for each entity type.

MDG supports mass changes as a common out-of-the-box feature. It is very likely that you could have done your changes using this functionality. Anyways, you should try using the mass change in MDG to get both MDG and ECC synchronized w.r.t. to your masterdata.

If you want to do this via coding, you cannot use the generated tables directly. You need to use one of the APIs that we provide to interact with MDG in a programmatic way (see http://scn.sap.com/docs/DOC-45127 for details).

Best regards

Michael

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Yogesh,

How did you go about syncing your ECC data back into the MDGF generated tables in the end?  By Mass Change Request or API route?  We unfortunately have a similar scenario at a client now - and need to go through the same exercise.

Regards,

Tarynn

former_member188878
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Yogesh,

you can replicate the data using the SOA and ALE/IDOC

please refer to the below link.

Configuring the SOA Manager for Master Data Governance for Finan - SAP Master Data Governance - SAP ...

Former Member
0 Kudos

thank you, ALE/Idoc scenario will be in picture with a Central HUB setup, we have a co-deploy option where MDG and ECC are on the same box.

I assumed in this scenario, the MDG does not keep a copy of the Master data, once the workflow is approved and data is activated, it transfers it to the ECC master data tables. And in case of updating directly into ECC tables, MDG fetches directly from ECC master tables.

Seems this is not the case, so I many have to sync back data to MDG tables from ECC master tables, not sure if there is a ready solution for it or we will have to develop something.

former_member188878
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the way the MDGF work is totally different it uses the flex mode

please refer to the below link