cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advantages and pitfalls of WD4A

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All.

After my initial exploration of about 20 days in WD4A, I have to tell my boss where does WD4A stand in this whole Netweaver stack.

Also, I have to tell advantages and disadvantages of this tech, along with a comparison with WD4J.

Any type of inputs from you gurus would be welcome.

Thanks in adv.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi

Basically there are pros and cons of webDynpro for ABAP .

I am giving you wonderful link that made my many concept clear about WD ABAP and Java .One of which was Support over Mobile Devices .Yet WD ABAP dont have that Provision ,One has to Go for WD JAVA for Developing Mobile SAP solutions .

<a href="/people/oliver.mayer/blog/2006/06/14/web-dynpro-abap-or-java in WD JAVA and ABAP</a>

In my view WebDynpro ABAP and Wd Java are not same.

Basically WebDynpro ABAP and Java are two different webDynpro provided by NetWeaver Stack.

Basic conceptual base of WD ABAP and WD Java is same.I mean to say concepts like Context binding , node , elements , Layout both support are same.

But when you provide background functionality to your Web Screen then Java or ABAP come in to picture.Just take case , you want do some thing on click of some button then

1) in case of java may you will call some ejb or you will may write some java code on click.

2) but in case of WD ABAP you have to do same thing with ABAP classes . You will call some call or some method of some system defined class.

Ulimately point I want make

1) WD ABAP and WD java 's Base is same but you code in completely different way.

2) Purpose for which SAP came with two different WDynpro is different. Java can be used for developing quite sophistcated Web services.

Hope I have clear your Doubt.

Give point if It has served purpose.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks everyone.

Few queries after going through the documents:

Most of the docs give adv of WD as :

Avoid becoming dependent on a certain client technology

What does it mean? Does it mean we can run WD4A without a browser? If so, how?

Also, there were some other related lines. Can you please help me in grasping them :

- Users are certain that application complies with client platform and accessibility standards – how is it ensured?

- Users can use the client tech that best fits their scenario. -> I think a repetition of what is stated above that it is client independent. Again, how?

- Developers can work in small teams, but still be sure that they can smoothly integrate their components in a global project -> What does it mean? Is it referring to the Change and Transport Mechanism of Abap?

- Many places it is said that Web Dynpro for ABAP currently supports only FM model unlike JAVA which supports Java Beans, Web services, XMI etc. But WD4A can also call web service, right? (by creating a proxy for the web service) Then why do docs say that WD4A support only FM model?

Thanks again everyone!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

- Users are certain that application complies with client platform and accessibility standards – how is it ensured?

> See <a href="http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw2004s/helpdata/en/19/e64941bfb4de2be10000000a1550b0/frameset.htm">the documentation</a>

- Users can use the client tech that best fits their scenario. -> I think a repetition of what is stated above that it is client independent. Again, how?

> For supported browsers, see PAM (service.sap.com/pam)

- Developers can work in small teams, but still be sure that they can smoothly integrate their components in a global project -> What does it mean? Is it referring to the Change and Transport Mechanism of Abap?

> yes, the established ABAP development infrastructure with the change and transport system

- Many places it is said that Web Dynpro for ABAP currently supports only FM model unlike JAVA which supports Java Beans, Web services, XMI etc. But WD4A can also call web service, right? (by creating a proxy for the web service) Then why do docs say that WD4A support only FM model?

> yes, that will be in the SP12 documentation, coming soon

Regards, Heidi

Former Member
0 Kudos

as for the pitfalls then i would say there are two that i can think of which actually fall in both the categories ..good and bad

1) one cannot write scripts here

2) it is still evolving..

Regards,

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

well well so thats the reason behind asking 75 questions

Ok now back to what you have asked for .. you will find your answers once you go through the above given threads but i will mention 2/3 points that i can think of ..

1) You can call FMs directly in case of WD ABAP but not in case of WD JAVA

2) Less coding compared to WD JAVA( i hope i am right here

For more refer:

/people/oliver.mayer/blog/2006/06/14/web-dynpro-abap-or-java

Please close this thread if you have got what you were looking for

Regards,

Anoop

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Aishi.

Follow this https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn/go/portal/prtroot/docs/webcontent/uuid/28113de9-0601-0010-71a3-c87806865f26?rid=/library/uuid/16e9b88a-0a01-0010-a28b-e8270a59c76c">link [original link is broken] [original link is broken] to find the buzzwords your boss want to hear.

But in fact the advantages described there are true.

The disadvantages may be that you aren't able to write your own Javascript and so on .. but this also can be an advantage some times

Cheers,

Sascha

RichHeilman
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

First, Web Dynpro is and will be the UI moving formard. All new developments by SAP will be done with Web Dynpro, so it is important to learn it now. One of the advantages of web dynpro overall is the componant reuse feature, where you develop small components and use them in bigger applications. Also the ALV Grid component and the Select-Options components are nice features. These you do not yet have with WDJ.

Regards,

Rich Heilman