Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Lumira doesn't display smaller cities in Geo Map visualization

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello,

I have a question - how can I display smallest cities (which are not included in the SAP Lumira integrated Location database) in Geo Map visualization using ArcGIS Online account?

As we all know SAP Lumira has integrated internal Mapping database which can display Location data in Geo Bubble, Geo Choropleth and Geo Pie Charts. But this internal Mapping database is limited and can display only larger Cities - smallest Cities can't be identified and mapped during preparation of Geographic Hierarchy by Names.

Due to this limitation we have created ArcGIS trial account and enabled it in SAP Lumira Preferences / Geo Map Service. I was expecting to see all cities (from largest to smallest) in Geo Map visualization because ArcGIS Online mapping database contains all possible cities. But when I had to select Geo Dimension in Geo Map visualization I was able to select only previously created Geographic Hierarchy by City Names which was created using SAP Lumira internal mapping database and doesn't include smaller cities.

So the question is - how can I display all cities (from largest to smallest) in SAP Lumira Geo Map visualization when Geographic Hierarchy can only be created using internal SAP Lumira mapping database which can't identify smaller cities.

Looking forward your feedback.

Best regards,

Donatas Budrys

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I described a similar solution over here : http://scn.sap.com/thread/3595376

I hope this helps

regards,

H

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello, Henry,

Thank you very much for your prompt answer.

Yes, indeed, creating Geographical Hierarchy using Longitude and Latitude saves the day - today I was able to display all cities on both SAP Lumira internal Geo visualizations and ArcGIS Geo Map.

But the question remains - if I don't have and can't use Longitude and Latitude how can I display those smaller cities using Geography Hierarchy using Names?

Any ideas?

Best regards,

Donatas Budrys

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

unfortunately, the answer remains the same as previous thread : Such cities will only exist in the in-built Navteq database IF the population is over 100 000 inhabitants.

Regards,

H

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

You can vote on this idea.

Although US cities/states are explicitely mentioned I guess it can be extended to all the world cities.

Improve geographic mapping by cities in U.S. by including cities over 100k in geo-coding DB : View I...

Antoine

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Henry,

So just to be 100% sure:

1. From ESRI we can use mapping layers only?
  2. Mapping database is available from Navteq only (currently SAP Lumira doesn't support ESRI mapping database)?

Thank you very much.

Donatas Budrys

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Antoine,

Thank you for your feedback. I will for sure vote for this idea .

Best regards,

Donatas Budrys

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

sorry, I don't quite understand :

1. Detection via "Names" uses the Navteq library for mappings.  100K population required, simplistic map.
  2. ESRI is the very detailed map, where you can have Layers and infinite zoom.

regards,

H

p.s. if you have a custom ESRI provider already , you could import that  - see "Import Custom ESRI Service" in the footer.

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

There are two scenarios to consider.

ESRI is in use:

- maps are provided by ESRI

- name mappings are provided by Navteq

ESRI is not in use

- maps are the default ones from Lumira

- name mappings are provided by Navteq

The key point is that ESRI is *only* providing the  (nicer and more precise) maps + layers.

Where Navteq always provides the mappings (even if ESRI maps are in use)

The initial expectation from Donatas is that when ESRI is in use better mappings would be provided but this is not the case.

Antoine

Henry_Banks
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Cheers, go it.

That fact is proven when you Filter on ERSI map, you see Navteq metadata tags in the list.

Regards,

H

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear, Henry and Antoine,

Thank you for your feedback and clarification. The situation is now clear for me.

We urgently need either more detailed name mapping from Navteq or implemented name mapping from ESRI in SAP Lumira .

Thank you.

Best regards,

Donatas Budrys

achab
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

which I would consider a minor product defect 😉 as end-user does not really care of the navteq feature identifier.

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Agree

Regards,

Donatas Budrys

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Donatas,

In case your question is still relevant, then have a look:

This post is about a new geomap extension without any limitation on geodata that can be used.

Hope it help.

Best regards,

Sébastien

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Sebastien,

Thank you for sharing this. It's really impressive.

I will for sure have a look at this galigeo solution.

Best regards,

Donatas

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

vincentdechandon
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Donatas.

I see you were already introduced to the Galigeo For Lumira extension.

I feel like it will fit your needs.

Which cities do you want to display ? Do you own a file or a service that contaisn thoses cities ?

Do you want to drill-down for a layer to these cities ?

Br,

Vincent

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Vincent,

Galigeo for SAP Lumira looks very promising.

Is it free to use or trial?

Best regards,

Donatas

vincentdechandon
Contributor
0 Kudos

It is free up to 5 users per company.
So if you are the only one using it yes, basically it is free without any limitation.

Anyway, you go for it and need some help at any time, do not hesitate. I'm not able to post a link forwarding to our extension download here for SCN rule reason but you can basically find it on the SAP market place.

Br,
Vincent

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Vincent,

Thank you. Will check it out for sure.

Have a nice day.

Best regards,

Donatas

AlexBW
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Donatas,

you can try to add cities manually, like it described in following help file (paragraph 4.3.4.2)

http://help.sap.com/businessobject/product_guides/boexir4/en/xi4sp5_exp_admin_en.pdf

Regards

Alexey

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi, Alexey,

This document describes how to add new cities to SAP BusinessObjects Explorer geography database.

Is it possible to apply the same to SAP Lumira geography database also?

Best regards,

Donatas

AlexBW
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Donatas,

AFAIK, the engine and geo file format (navteq) are the same in Explorer and Lumira

you can check file "C:\Program Files\SAP Lumira\Desktop\plugins\com.sap.geo.repository.names.navteq.levels012c_3.3.12.r539_v20140423.jar"

But I havn't yet test this solution. on your own risk!

Regards

Alexey

Donatas
Participant
0 Kudos

Alexey,

Thank you very much for your input and suggestions .

Will try.

Regards,

Donatas

AlexBW
Participant
0 Kudos

good luck!