cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP NWBC for HTML - hide / show services on runtime

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

My client is willing to change their current SAP Portal (ESS & MSS) to SAP NWBC for HTML. We currently have 12000+ users accessing the portal to do their time & travel management activities, changes on personal data and view salary statement among other small HR processes.

I read a lot regarding SAP NWBC for HTML and it is now supporting the same authentication methodologies such as:

• User ID and passwords
  • X.509 Client Certificates
  • SAML assertions
  • SAP Logon Tickets
  • SPNEGO and Kerberos

On the portal we are currently at SAP ECC 6.0 EHP5 and before changing to SAP NWBC for HTML we will upgrade to SAP Netweaver 7.4 and to EHP7 with HR Renewal 2.0 (latest version) to include all the new features available with SAP NWBC HTML and new processes for HR.

However I wasn't able to find out how and where I could replicate the behaviour of badi HRESS_MENU used on ESS launchpad and critical to show / hide services depending on employee Master Data.

Do you know how can I achieve the same requirement using SAP NWBC for HTML?

Do you have any recommendations on SAP NWBC?

Thanks.

Best Regards,
AS

PS: We will use only WDA applications & possibly UI5 applications on the near future.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Maybe I don't understand the question but HRESS_MENU will work with NWBC for HTML just like it does now on the portal. Only a few of SAP provided BAdIs are client technology specific. That said, there is a NWBC "specific" implementation of HRESS_MENU. The BAdI implementation is HRESS_NWBC_MENU_EXT and it has a filter value making it active only for the NWBC specific PFCG role. See here and here for details.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Samuli.

You're right, it seems BAdI HRESS_NWBC_MENU_EXT will work. I think I didn't make myself very clear as I didn't say that launchpad menu will no longer be used with NWBC since we will use the left side navigation, much user friendly and quicker to access to.

Reading SAP documentation it seems this BAdI (available from EHP7+) will solve my issue.

Thanks for the hint.

Do you see any blocking point from moving SAP Portal to SAP NWBC for HTML even with 12000+ users?

Thanks again.

Best Regards,
AS

Former Member
0 Kudos

We have found out NWBC for HTML to be too restrictive (e.g. many features missing) and slow to go live with, we are deploying NWBC for Desktop instead. You should at least perform load testing to make sure system response, network latency and client rendering won't be an issue.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Very interesting Samuli. I would certainly like to know more about your findings. It is this sort of information that customers find very useful - real life experience, no marketing. Are you comfortable to share more (e.g. what features you really missed, what performance and rendering issues you faced)?

Former Member
0 Kudos

The lack of quick launch in NWBC for HTML was a show stopper for us, most of our users still use transactions instead of finding the correct entry in the workset or favorites. See here for the list of other known limitations in NWBC for HTML. The biggest performance problem we faced was with traditional transactions (dynpros) since NWBC for HTML can't use SAP GUI for Windows but uses SAP GUI for HTML (webgui). So I guess the biggest performance problem we faced was more about SAP GUI than about NWBC.

Answers (0)