cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

brbackup from any RAC instance?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Oracle RAC 11.2.0.4 on RHEL 6.5, 2 node cluster

Please tell, me can we run brbackup and brarchive on any of the instances in the cluster?

Current BR*Tools doco states The necessary BR*Tools executables must exist on the DDB instance host in directory/usr/sap/<SAPSID>/SYS/exe/run

Note 905359 - Using BR*Tools for Oracle RAC databases – states:

BR*Tools are normally started on a dedicated RAC node that is defined in Note 621293

Note 621293 - Oracle 9i/10g: Real Application Clusters – states:

Dedicated Instance

See also 'Dedicated Node'. Dedicated instance is not an Oracle term but is rather a definition from the SAP documentation for the SAP BR*Tools. In this context (SAP, Oracle, RAC, BR*Tools), a dedicated instance (typically/mostly the instance 001) refers to the instance on the cluster node that is primarily configured for administration, that is, (1) the BR*Tools are installed locally on this node, (2) a BR*Tools profile is set up for this instance, and (3) the administration of the Oracle RAC system is mainly controlled from this dedicated instance or from this dedicated RAC node.

Dedicated Node

Dedicated node refers to the cluster node on which the dedicated instance is running (see above). The dedicated instance is the Oracle RAC instance from which administrative tasks are performed that concern the database or the RAC instances, and it is, therefore, fully configured for this purpose. To be prepared if the dedicated node fails, you should configure at least a second node so that it can take over the role of the dedicated node if required.

I can install BR*Tools on both nodes, and set up the profiles on both nodes. Is there any other configuration that needs to be in place so that we can back up from either instance? we would like to make sure that we can attach to an active instance each time the backup runs. So if the DDB instance goes down, the backup can't run, unless we can use the second node. is this correct, and is there a better solution to this?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Warren,

Could you please have a look into the guidelines shared in SAP help

http://help.sap.com/saphelp_nw73/helpdata/en/46/ad5633dac33b2fe10000000a1553f7/content.htm

Also refer SAP Note 1598594 - BR*Tools configuration for Oracle inst. under "oracle" user

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your response. i have looked at both these pages, but they do not answer the question. I did get my answer from SAP. You can run the backup from either instance, so long as the instancefrom which you run is configured with the requirements of a DDB instance. As i understand it, this means (1) the BR*Tools are installed locally on this node, (2) a BR*Tools profile is set up for this instance, and (3) the administration of the Oracle RAC system is mainly controlled from this dedicated instance (i.e, this instance should be able to administer the others). so if configured correctly, you can back up from either.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Warren,

As per SAP note 914174 - Minor functional enhancements in BR*Tools (1)

Point (4): Backups on RAC without password specification

you can execute brbackup on RAC nodes using remote shell functionality. Relevant configuration details are described in the note.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak,

Have you had experience using RMAN channel distribution between the RAC nodes for the backup? I am interested to know how this improves performance. have heard that there is some overhead on both nodes with this