Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transport Domain Change from Dev to Prod

former_member199963
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Experts,

We might have any screenshots for moving domain controller from DEV to Prod? We want to change because Dev is down for backups on the weekends and because of which Transports cant be moved into Prod.

Also, how will the transport routes be setup?

Greatly appreciate your help.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Asad,

Why don't you configure a Backup Domain Controller, instead of moving the Primary Domain Controller?  You can choose your QAS system for this, or your PRD system if you prefer.  This way, if the Primary Domain Controller (i.e., DEV) is down for any reason, you can logon to the BDC (i.e., QAS) and activate it as a new primary.

Which triggers the next question:  why do you need to take DEV down for backups on weekends?  What is different about how you are backing up DEV from how you backup PRD?

In any case, if you really want to move your primary domain controller to PRD, you can start by enabling PRD as a backup domain controller (while DEV is active), and then 'activate' it as the new primary domain controller.

Regards,

Matt

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
former_member199963
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt , Reagan,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply to my query. For PRD we do Daily off-line backup: 8:00-8:30 PM. Another reason to go for PRD was that we do system copies to DEV and if we have the DEV as domain controller we have to setup the TMS again.

Thanks,

Asad

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Wow.

What database platform are you using?  It's not really related to your original question, but I'm just curious.  You've mentioned two things that are unusual for standard practice, at least in my experience:  taking production down daily for backups (most modern DBMS platforms offer perfectly good online backup scenarios); and regularly overwriting your DEV system with production refreshes (this is common for QAS systems, but not for DEV systems).

However, given that your organization is in the habit of regularly overwriting DEV, I can see that you would prefer the domain controller to be a more stable system.  Normally DEV is pretty stable.

former_member199963
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

We have a AIX/DB2 setup in our landscape. I have also seen in the past where QA is used for refresh. Also, I am not sure why we have a daily offline backup of PRD as well.

I have recently joined the team so will get an update from the team.

Thanks again for your valuable input!

Thanks,

Asad

former_member199963
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt, I was able to change the PDC from dev to prod.

Regards,

Asad

Answers (0)