cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Relationship: AutoCAD, Excel & EWM

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

We are currently searching for the easiest way to populate X, Y, Z bin coordinates, angles and all other data with extreme accuracy in EWM.

Our goal right now is to obtain an accurate 3D model of our warehouse in AutoCAD.  We are looking to outsource for that, as we do not have that ability internally.

Question: Is there a way to upload our AutoCAD drawing into EWM and let that populate all of the bin data?  Is there a link between the AutoCAD drawing and automatically generating all of the bin data in Excel?  Can Excel read information from AutoCAD?

If not, is the only option for us to manually set up all bin data in Excel, and then have that uploaded to EWM?

Please let me know if this question makes sense, or if there needs to be more clarification.

Best,

Dan

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

the best way is probably to use the tools available in EWM, means you create structures and defines the bins from there.

An upload is also available, but yes, for this you need to fill a CSV file with all the required data, and especially the coordinates are not simple to calculate, because this is not a straight function.

Can AutoCAD export into a CSV file? Or Excel read AutoCAD files? Don't know, so you have to figure this out. But then for sure AutoCAD does not include the other data you need, like bin types, so you need to fill this as well.

"We are currently searching for the easiest way to populate X, Y, Z bin coordinates, angles and all other data with extreme accuracy in EWM."

Why with "extreme accuracy"? Yes, it should be correct. But you should have learned by now that you describe a corner of a bin, so you should not exagerate...

Brgds

Juergen

Former Member
0 Kudos

I said "extreme accuracy" in reference to all aspects of the bin data, edges, etc and not just the coordinate itself.  I am not sure where that miscommunication came from.

Nonetheless, thanks for the answer.  I will ask around for better clarification on the subject.

Dan