cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Diagnostic Agent reads false IP address 169.254.*.* (Private IP address)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have recently upgraded Diagnostic Agent in QAS with Microsoft failback cluster environment . After upgrade, I checked log files for SMD Agent and observed that it reads a false IP address with 169.254.*.* series. This issue seems to be related with APIPA (Automatic Private IP Addressing). The IP address 169.254.0.0 to 169.254.255.255 is APIPA range and is reserved for Microsoft.  I searched on forum and got a note (1365796 – Local host name resolution fails in Windows failover cluster) relevant to this issue and applied it on host server. After applying the note, I restarted DAA, but still problem is the same. In host server, the command of ping -4 <localhostname> gives the correct output of server IP.

Could anyone tell me why is it happening? Or is there something more to be concentrated to solve this issue?

I have opened OSS message and communicating with SAP since last one week. Quick reply will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

Ganesan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

what version of windows you use? Maybe you can check and change the sequence of your nics. The issue comes from the outside discovery. With SPS 12 there will be a solution of this issue from SAP.

BR.

Mike

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hopefully you have sorted your issue out, but I found Issac Khan's reply very helpful.

What helped me also was the fact that our Windows Cluster was still showing Network adapters as Enabled even though they were not active. This meant the SAPHost Agent was still registering these (2) IP addresses as described in http://service.sap.com/sap/support/notes/2109662

On Windows 2008 R2, navigate to Network and Sharing centre  and disabled the "inactive" Adapters completely. This then stopped them showing up in the list that showed what host names and IP addresses were known to the server.

issac_khan2
Explorer
0 Kudos

If you have not gotten a solution to this yet I ran into the same situation.  This ended up being the binding order of this hidden NIC called "Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapter".  You can verify this by running:

"c:\program files\sap\hostctrl\exe\saphostctrl.exe" -function GetComputerSystem

At the top of that result you should get a list of IPAddresses and if you see the 169 address 1st then probably have an issue with the binding order.

You cannot send the binding order through the GUI.  You can either use the nvspbind utility (TechNet Hyper-V Network VSP Bind (nvspbind)) or set the binding in the registry after you find the Adapter's GUID.

You can get more detail from Windows Server 2008 Failover Clusters: Networking (Part 4) - Ask the Core Team - Site Home - TechNe....

Also if you have an issue with ping -4 <host name> returning the 169 then follow the directions in note 1365796

Regards,

Issac

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

Can you check "SAPLOCALHOST = hostname" parameter in SMD agent profile ?

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Thanks for your reply,

The SAPLOCALHOST is the actual host name of the server.. I have checked all other properties related to SMD agent (including run time properties) and found everything is OK.

Ganesan

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

So, you mean to say your virtual host ?