cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SQL Script VS HANA views

0 Kudos

Hi Gurus,

We are in the process of building the SAP HANA views. As we know there are multiple options

1) Attribute , Analytic & Calc views

2) Scripted Calculation views and CE functions.

I have read many articles and as per SAP Documentation, they say build the information view with  Attribute, analytic and calculation View (Graphical) If it does not suffice they go for scripted calculation view.

Just wanted to understand. Are there any limitations or any issues faced in the projects with scripted calc views. If we look at the John Appleby tips, it suggests that avoid SQL script unless it cannot be done with graphical views.

http://scn.sap.com/community/hana-in-memory/blog/2013/12/29/6-golden-rules-for-new-sap-hana-develope...

If we build the views with graphical method, then it seems the parallelism can very well achieved ,means query is split into multiple sub queries and executed in parallel as in Visualize plan.

If we write the Sql script, can this parallel processing  achieved or not ?  If the requirement can be achieved without writing script which method to choose.

I have included the 10 to 12 attribute views in analytic view then Calculation view; it seems there may be some performance issue which I am going to check. As we know we can use base table directly in calculation view. What is the best method to use .Can we use these base  tables in calculation view directly or build the attribute views first, then analytic  view and after that build calculation view.

As we know we use the attribute views from re usability perspective.  Is there any other reason that we need to use attribute views instead of joining the base tables in calc view .

Regards

Ram Ramanathaiah

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

former_member182302
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi There,

Have a look on these discussions too:

Regards,

Krishna Tangudu

0 Kudos

Thank you Krishna for the answers. I have gone through those links. But there is nowhere consensus opinion that the way we use the views. Some of the answers conflict each other .When we are starting the project we need to make decision about the best approach we wanted to take. If possible I would like to understand more about this from you and other experts.

1) Build the views with Attribute analytic or calc views or

2) Build the views only with base tables in calc views or

3) Build everything using the SQL script /CE functions.

Regards

Ram

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ramakrishnan,

According to the performance point of view it is to better to go for calculation views compare with the attribute and analytic views

And it is better to use base tables instead of using attribute views .the main reason for this is not only simple reusability and also we can perform some special operations as per our requirement in desired way (joins and performing distinct functionality etc…)

When can achieve parallel processing concept through this scripting by calling suitable methods .

We can avoid SQL script if we are able to done with graphical views.

Regards

khaga