cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Antivirus bring down the performance of SAP System

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have installed SAP Netweaver in my PC.

During my installation of SAP Netweaver, it insisted to disable the McAfee Antivirus running in my machine to continue.

Also I observed running the SAP Netweaver installation with McAfee Antvirus slowing down the performance.

Hence,

1.Can anyone suggest is it advisable to run Antivirus in the machine that contains SAP softwares?

2.Will there be any impact in performance due to Antivirus running in SAP software machine etc.

3.If Antivirus can run on the SAP software machine, Do we need to include any parameters to not to SCAN SAP supporting software files?

4.Is there any specific antivirus can be used in a SAP Software machine?

Please suggest.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

I have been using Symantec AV on my portal boxes. HP/Windows

With any AV software you are going to see a performance hit.

I have the AV software not doing an active scan on DB files.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks David.

Could you get me any link that says "SAP is not recommended for installing antivirus on SAP system" etc.

I can show the website reference as a proof to permanently disable the AV running in my PC in my organisation.

Kindly help.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

1.Can anyone suggest is it advisable to run Antivirus in the machine that contains SAP softwares?

Yes, it advisable run antivirus.

2.Will there be any impact in performance due to Antivirus running in SAP software machine etc.

Yes, There is impact running antivirus. By default antivirus will scan all the folders and files.

3.If Antivirus can run on the SAP software machine, Do we need to include any parameters to not to SCAN SAP supporting software files?

Yes, There is way to exclude the scanning of the folders where SAP software is installed.

Names of the folders need to excluded in windows operating system are

1. USR folder

2. Excluding Data base files are not recommeded, but if necessary you can exclude.

Maxdb Database

sapdb folder

MS SQL 2000/2005

>Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\xxxDATA1.mdf -->Particular Database file in MS SQL 2000.Here xxx is your instance name.

>Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Data\xxxLOG1.ldf --> Particular log file in MS SQL 2000.Here xxx is your instance name

>Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\xxxDATA1.mdf --Particular Database file in MS SQL 2005.Here xxx is your instance name.

>Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Data\xxxLOG1.ldf --Particular log file in MS SQL 2005.Here xxx is your instance name.

Program Files\sapinst_instdir folder

Steps given below to exclude the SAP folders in McAfee antivirus Ver 8.0.0 and above. May be applicable for older version of McAfee, if the interface is same as

McAfee antivirus Ver 8.0.0.

Open McAfee antivirus console and make sure Console is Unlocked for editing.

To unlock the console

Go to Tools-->Unlock User Interface. Provide the relevant password to unlock.

Please check with system administrator if necessary.

To add Entries to exclude:

Select Task>On Access Scan Properties>Default Process

Select Detection Tab-->Exclusions -->What to exclude

Click Browse--> Select the SAP folder which needs to be excluded.

Repeat the same steps to exclude other SAP folders if necessary.

Note: Make sure to tick "Also exclude subfolders" in the same window.

4.Is there any specific antivirus can be used in a SAP Software machine?

Not sure, Will let you know if anything.

Reward points if usefull..................

Former Member
0 Kudos

I am sorry, I do not know of a link. I run AV on my machines.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Amzad Bhasha.

I excluded the SAP folders in my McAfee.

You answered all my questions.

Great contribution.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Vinod,

1) An antivirus is a must for any system so no matter what you install you should have a antivirus.Hence its highly advisable to install an antivirus that contains SAP software.

2)Ya surely there will be an impact when you running an antivirus with the SAP software if this is your issue you need to increase your RAM size and maybe even your virtual memory settings too.

3)Ya surely you can include the list of directories and files in your antivirus scanner which will not be scanned.You can check out this link http://www-tus.csx.cam.ac.uk/virus/VSE80config.html for mcafee on how to do it.

4)SAP does not recommend any specific antivirus any good antivirus like mcafee,norton kaspersky will do good.i would recommend kaspersky since its light on memory and best in class.