cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Migration from Solaris 10 to Windows Server 2008 R2 or higher

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi experts,

We'd like to migrate the OS of our SAP systems to windows from Solaris 10. We're still wondering which version of Windows we'll use. (matter of money)

Could you give me some docs, tips or advice to do that ? (requirements, how to do it, packages to install)

I have checked berforehand that all the SAP solutions we're using are compatible with Windows Server 2008 R2 or higher.

I heard I'd need an OS Migration Expert to do it, but still, before that I need to check if it's possible and a roadmap could also be nice.

Thank you in advance,

Best Regards.

Alexiel.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alex,

From license perspective you need to procure license for Windows 2012 but for installation you can downgrade it to windows 2008 R2 as required.

From suggestion perspective, it is always good to go with Windows 2012 to gain benefits from mainstream support and new features as compared to windows 2008 r2.

As per SAP recommendation, it is good to have OS/DB certified consultant to perform the migration.

Some useful documents available on SCN

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Answers (3)

Answers (3)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Alexiel,

There is next to Windows 2008r2 also Windows 2012 Standard edition (limited virtualisation) and 2012 (Datacenter) supported for Netweaver. The 2008r2 will reach end of life a lot quicker then Windows 2012.

If its down to money, you also might want to consider Linux (Redhat & SuSe)  especially when you are used to maintaining Solaris this will be more alike. I won't even start about security updates and Windows, that is also a consideration. 

Kind regards, Ineke

Former Member
0 Kudos

Okay thanks Ineke !

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you guys for your fast reply and help !

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Alexiel,

There are 3 places which you should check.

1. PAM for OS/DB/Product compatibility

2. System Copy(Migration) guide for process

3. SAP Notes for unknown and known issues.

Rest is your choice, but some higher and latest should be your prime concern, considering hardware and feature are low on price these days.

Regards,

Divyanshu