cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will current version of personas works on mobile?

sivaganesh_krishnan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi,

I have doubt on whether personas will run on mobile devices. In older post i find that its ment for desktop but after the 2.0 release can we use it mobiles and tablets.

Regards,

Sivaganesh

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Personas 2 come in two versions - the silverlight version that was version 1, and an HTML version. The Silverlight version runs only on platforms that support Silverlight, obviously. The only vaguely mobile device that supports Silverlight is a Windows (not Windows RT) tablet. Even there it doesn't work very well.

Personas 2 is pure HTML, and will therefore render on any device that will run webgui. But HTML Personas has much reduced functionality compared to Silverlight Personas. The major omissions are tab merging and any form of scripting. You may well find it doesn't do what you need.

Even if it did work, remember that it is running within the context of webgui, and that isn't the easiest thing to use in a mobile context. I've successfully used webgui on an Android tablet, but only with a keyboard and mouse present. In touch mode, webgui is very awkward. If you read the recent posts in this space about Personas version 3 (not yet released), you'll see that it is a fully functional (as functional as Silverlight personas) HTML version. It will render on a mobile, but using it may still feel awkward in touch mode - it won't work like a native app or even a UI5 app.

If mobile is important to you, you will need to wait for version 3, but even then it isn't yet clear how good a mobile experience you'll be able to build in Personas. Only time will tell. I do intend to give it a go at some point

Steve.

sivaganesh_krishnan
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks Steve

Answers (0)