cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Study flow for abap

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello,

i have been learning abap for almost 2 months now and I have been doing a lot of in book tutorials. I was wondering are if there were any resources or study flow that needs to be followed. Like in java the persons first program is a hello world print statement , which is followed by loops , data structures, oops , etc. and also there are boat loads of practice exercises on the web . I was just wondering if such a thing or place exists on the web for abap. As I am planning to write the taw10 certification , I just wanted to make sure I  well equipped for the exam and future interviews .

THanks,

venkata

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkata

You could look at the SAP Education and Training Course Guides to see the recommended path they go through for learning ABAP. It may be useful for you to see any courses worth enrolling in.

Also, learning hub contains some ABAP conent that you can have a look at for free relating to the course.

go to training.sap.com for your country and then search for 'ABAP'. As an example, there is certification C_TAW12_731. You can then click on the related courses and from there look at pre-requisites.

If you click onto a specific course and then go to related curriculum you can get a course flow map - for example URL: https://training.sap.com/in/en/curriculum/cm_pv_abapnw7_in-abap-with-sap-netweaver-in-en/

It is a starting point for a path, however, again, you may want to consider some formal training when you are ready.

Regards

Colleen

Ps I'm not a developer so am not much help on going into the specifics on ABAP content.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for that, I was just wondering like, I have completed a course called SAP in 21 days, but it does not touch any concepts with regards to CLASSES or POLYMORPHISM or INHERITANCE etc, In short no OOPS. My big question being:

1) Have I learnt the basics ?

2) Is OOPS a separate concept ?

3) Is OOPS a part of Adv. ABAP concepts ?

Is there a book that has end-to-end stuff about ABAP. I would like only the index of that book, since I would like to have a more hands on approach while trying the concepts.

I would be very happy if you could help out.

-Thanks,

Venkata

Colleen
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkata

First up - no need to publish the same question/response to multiple people in the thread as this is a broadcast - we all receive the same information.

I cannot talk to specifics but my recommendation is to seek some formal training at some point to go through the import aspects. Self teaching is good to a point but unless you have other programming experience you might find it difficult to obtain employment through self training alone (I am a fan of self training but there is a balance to ensure you learn the content).

If you intend to proceed with self training and have access to a SAP system you could look at Learning Hub Subscription which will give you access to all of the SAP ABAP development course guides for you to work through.

Regards

Colleen

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Jelena
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

There are ABAP books published by SAP Press, you could easily google them and in most cases table of contents is available online for those books. (By the way, using Google is essential skill in the SAP world.)

I would caution though about the whole endeavor since SCN is already full of the posts from "freshers" complaining that they can't get any job after investing in training and/or certification. You might be very disappointed at the end.

rajkumarnarasimman
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Venkata,

As same as every language, ABAP also have the flow of learning from basic to advance. If you are studying for the certification, I hope you should have four different books in the following order.

1. SAP/ABAP Basics
  2. ABAP Workbench Fundamentals
    1. Introduction to Dictionary
    2. Data Objects in ABAP Dictionary
    3. Performance when accessing Tables
    4. Input Checks
    5. Object Dependencies
    6. Changing Tables
    7. Views and Maintenance Dialogs
    8. Search Help
    9. Introduction to Screen Programming
    10. Program Interface
    11. Screen Elements for Input/Output
    12. Screen Elements: Subscreen and Tabstrip Controls
  3. OOABAP/ABAP Objects and Application Area
    1. Introduction to Object Oriented Programming
    2. Object Oriented concepts and Programming Techniques
    3. Object Oriented Repository Objects
    4. Exception Handling
    5. Shared Objects
    6. Dynamic Programming
  4. ABAP Objects and Application Area
    1. Changing SAP Standard System
    2. Enhancing Dictionary Elements
    3. Enhancing using Customer Exit
    4. Business Add-Ins
    5. Modifications
    6. Enhancements
    7. Webdynpro - Introduction
    8. Webdynpro - Controllers
    9. User Interface
    10. Controller and Context Programming

Regards

Rajkumar Narasimman

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you for that, I was just wondering like, I have completed a course called SAP in 21 days, but it does not touch any concepts with regards to CLASSES or POLYMORPHISM or INHERITANCE etc, In short no OOPS. My big question being:

1) Have I learnt the basics ?

2) Is OOPS a separate concept ?

3) Is OOPS a part of Adv. ABAP concepts ?

Is there a book that has end-to-end stuff about ABAP. I would like only the index of that book, since I would like to have a more hands on approach while trying the concepts.

I would be very happy if you could help out.

-Thanks,

Venkata