cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Material variant with editable values

Former Member
0 Kudos

Experts,

We are using variant configuration at our company, and there is need to edit value for 2 characteristic of material variant in sales order.

please help me what are the settings i need to change so that it will work in a way that , i should be able to assign values in sales order for 2 characteristic.

Cheers

Paul

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Paul,

In addition to note suggested by Eric, also go though below discussion thread.

http://scn.sap.com/message/13208299#13208299

Also if possible , what you want to achive by making editable material varaint, i hope you know the logic behind creating material variant for a business process.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply, yes i do understand the reason for creating material variant , as we do make to stock.

my scenario is as below

ex. Material XYZ1234

Class C_11

it have characteristic AA too ZZ.

Material variant ABC1234

have default value for all characteristic in classification view of material master.

for 2 characterstic there is value ex, 11 , 22 , coming from user, as a factory person i want to change it to 88 , 99.

These characterstics are not releavant for sales department but releavnt  for my department and thas why we want to change it .

Thanks

Paul

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

paul kohl,

If you ahve gone through link i shared in my previous thread, it very well define similar need.

As i asked you earlier you understand the reason behind creating material variants, if you allow changes to configuration values of a material variant it will no longer support the basis for variant creation.

Material variants are set configuration of configurable products, and meant for basic ease of make to stock production.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

I agree , do you want to say that , we cant use material variant which will allow changes of characteristic value in make to stock?

Thanks

Paul

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

paul kohl,

Ya , as per my knowledge just using ECC its not possible to have functanility of make to stock with configurable material.

as i replied earlier , in the customizing transaction OPPS you can get  requirement class for this group. In the transaction OVZG you can check in the field "Cnfg." if for this requirement class a configuration is mandatory or a configuration is allowed (*).

Its as good as having custome rindependent functionality for PIR , not sure how it works and behave, as never did it myself.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

seems, i dont have any option left.

thanks any way.

Paul

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Paul,

note 621531 explains the necessary customizing to make characteristic values editable in material variants.

Best regards,

Eric

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for information , but the note say

A material variant is a product variant of a configurable material whose characteristic values are already defined in the material master record. It is therefore a stock material.

If you want to be able to change the valuation of a material variant in the sales order, it can no longer be used as a stock material. Instead it must have the same inventory management as a configurable material, that is, special stock is set to 'Orders on hand'. The reason for this is that the material variant must then be produced in accordance with the new valuation.

so in thats case does it will only work with make to order not make to stock?

Please sugegst.

Thanks

Ritz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

paul kohl,

you can try this check the strategy group in material , then in the customizing transaction OPPS you can get  requirement class for this group. In the transaction OVZG you can check in the field "Cnfg." if for this requirement class a configuration is mandatory or a configuration is allowed (*).

change it to allowed and it will make feilds editable.

check and come back.

Thanks

Ritesh

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for reply, but it sounds like it will open all the value for edit?

Thanks