cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi-Source Universe - Swapping Connections a disaster-Connection can not be registered

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

1. What is the best way to swap connections with in an environment?

For example, in DEV environment I want to use another environment like integrated environment's DB?

I have to change all the table owners manually and if I have derived tables and custom LOVs, it's a significant maintenance and error prone.

2. If I migrate the universe to a UAT or PROD environment often I encounter, the connection can not be registered error

Please advise

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

We ran into this limitation and it made us abandon any plans of using multisource universes in the short term.  As far as we were able to determine, the only way to change the owner on objects in a multisource universe is manually, table by table, even when the owner is set by default on the database connection.

I added an Idea on Idea Place and hope that some day this will be changed and made easier: Multisource Universes: Reference tables without explicit database qualifier : View Idea

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Emily,We filed an incident with SAP, and referred your Idea, and I promoted it as well. But the engineer I spoke told that only few promoted, but she said they have been recently getting quite a bit of calls from customers. Hopefully, they will fix it, in some release

former_member4998
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

If you have three DB servers (Dev,Test,Prod ) and three bo servers (Dev,Test,Prod ) you need to create three different connections in Dev.

IN THE DEV SERVER

1. 1. Create connection (Dev Connection) in  the Dev DB to connectDev DB to BO Dev and then develop the universe.

1. 2. Create another  connection (Test Connection)  in the Dev DB to connect Test DB to Test BO Dev

1. 3. Create another connection (Prod Connection)  in the Dev DB to connect Prod DB to Prod BO Dev

Then while promoting to Test environment, you need to send universe along with connection, but in the connection you need to change the Dev DB connection to Test DB connection ((Test Connection)  (Select the connection -> Click on change connection)

Then while promoting to Prod environment, you need to send universe along with connection, but in the connection you need to change to Prod DB connection (Prod Connection)

And once the universe and connection are promoted successfully come back to Dev and change the connection to Dev DB (Dev Connection)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Sreenivasulu.

This is about multi-source only..right? Single Source IDT and UDT Universes never have this kind of problems.

Also in DEV evironment, the policy is set such that UAT and PROD connections are not accessible to BO Server. Either ways, i.e, when using Oracle Client or ODBC connections, the DB server can not communicate with BO Server, with lower environments, but the opposite is true.

But I can try for DEV and Test Environments and let you know how it goes.

Error

Resolution Status=Copied, Dependency Status=All the required dependencies are

included., Commit Status=Commit attempted and failed., Promotion Status=Failure

: Object Promoted. Update Failed. Error :

com.businessobjects.mds.publishing.exception.PublishingException: Multi source

connection can not be registered: Connection name

Thanks

-Peter