Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are working on specification master data upload through CG33. We

want

to upload data like specification header data,phrase data and property

tree - value assignment type and its charecteristc in Tcode CG02BD. How

these master data can be filled ?

Is there any other way to upload these masters in CG02BD.

Please share step by step guideline how CG33 works.

Regards,

Kapil K

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kapil

your topic is quite "old". Check e.g: Import: Process - Basic Data and Tools (EHS-BD) - SAP Library

and any subchapter related there to either "specification import" or "phrase import". Check may be as well:

Regarding other options of import:

a.) use of EHS OCC EH&S Open Content Connector - Basic Data and Tools (EHS-BD) - SAP Library

b.) use of ALE (e.g. Distributing Specifications Manually - Basic Data and Tools (EHS-BD) - SAP Library)

Pay attention.. Many people does have problems in using Cg33 because they don't understand the "data format" to be prepared to execute the upload

As well you will find some references in this FORUM to a tool called "Data Editor". This solution is only available according to my information a s a special service from SAP and not part of EHS standard.

Check e.g.:

C.B.

PS: Example: Transfer File for Specifications - Basic Data and Tools (EHS-BD) - SAP Library

shows the structure of the file to be used

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christoph,

Thanks for your reply, can you please explain how can we convert a excel file having importing data into a .dat file for importing it through CG33.

Thanks in Advance

Regards

Kapil

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kapil,

for the conversion you need the DataEditor. Please see Christoph's links about this topic.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thanks for your reply, can you please tell us that is there any other method to create .dat file through an excel file.

Thanks and Regards

Kapil

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kapil,

There are two possibilities, but none is convenient:

1. Create it manually. The dat-files have a certain syntax that needs to be followed making the manual process extremely difficult and error-prone, but in principle it's possible.
  2. Develop a conversion program that does it for you. Again, this is possible but not easy.

I don't see another solution.

Best,

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Thanks alot for your prompt reply, do you have any detailed document or link where I can get detailed process of creating .dat file manually. i have checked the steps provided in

SAP help Import: Process - Basic Data and Tools (EHS-BD) - SAP Librar but I am unable to understand the conversion syntax

Thanks and Regards

Kapil

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ralph,

Can you please also provide details where I can get DataEditor.

Thanks and Regards

Kapil

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kapil,

the syntax is, as far as I know, not explained anywhere. The only thing you can do is export a specification into a dat-file and and struggle your your way through the file trying to understand the syntax. But frankly: If you never worked with these files I see a very hard time coming towards you with this approach. It is nothing I recommend.

Best,

Ralph

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kapil,

the DE is not available as a service anymore, please see this thread: http://scn.sap.com/thread/2009342

Best,

Ralph

christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Ralph

in SAP onlien help there is some explanation. It is not "that" good but if you take your time it is ok

I can confirm your findings:

1. Create it manually. The dat-files have a certain syntax that needs to be followed making the manual process extremely difficult and error-prone, but in principle it's possible.
  2. Develop a conversion program that does it for you. Again, this is possible but not easy.

Dear Kapil

one option might be to "learn step by step". Create one spec with at max one ident. Then do the export and check ".dat" file. The add further identifiers and or usages and or regulatory lists; after a while you understand content of .dat file so you you should be able to use either option 1.) or 2.) as mentioned by Ralph

Many people "hate" the .dat file structure and have the feeling that SAP does not support them in uploading data in EHS. But if you take your time to execute the upload using .dat files

As mentioned above. ALE is an alternative; we have never investigated here to use it; .dat files are our choice and this option is wkring fine (performance etc.)

C.B.

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi All,

Thanks for your valuable guidance, Can you please provide us an example .dat file for specification import so that we can explore how CG33 works.

Thanks and Regards

Kapil

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kapil,

Please find attached an example containing three specs with header data only. Since I cannot upload a .dat-file, please use the attached .txt-file and rename it into example.dat before opening it.

Ralph

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rlaph,

Thanks for the example file, I have tried to upload the file through CG33 but it is giving error "Incorrect delimiter +EOF transfer file". Can you please guide me on this issue.

Regards

Kapil

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Kapil,

Please check the settings in your system for decimal separators, file format etc. They need to match those in the file, else change the corresponding settings in the file to fit your system.

Ralph

Ralph_P
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
christoph_bergemann
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Dear Kapil

your "pitfalls" have been all discussed yet here !  (Without basic knowlegde of SAP set up (SAP GUI, SAP Core, SAP application system "idea", use of operating system etc.) you will not succeed to use the ".dat" files properly; there are lots of additional pitfalls !

SAP EHS Management for Beginners 

Is providing a lot of references (not 100%) to a lot of similar threads.

C.B.