Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uninstall Database manually for Unicode Conversion

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

While performing a Unicode Conversion, during Export, Unistall and Import of Database, I would like to improve times for Database Creation since its 5TB

My goal is to delete SAP/DB Instance Non-Unicode but keeping Tablespaces and Datafiles Layout, in order to not recreate them when re-installing SAP/DB Instance Unicode

According to SAP Note 1260050 - UNIX:Deleting Oracle DB Instance Based on NW7.1 and Higher, the steps are the following.

drop user SAP<SCHEMA_ID> cascade;

drop tablespace <TABLESPACE_NAME> including contents;

Are this steps valid to delete a ABAP Database, and keeping Datafiles structures for when Installing Unicode SAP Instance?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

While performing a Unicode Conversion, during Export, Unistall and Import of Database, I would like to improve times for Database Creation since its 5TB

Why don't you drop the entire target system and install from fresh using system copy method.

This will require a parallel system to be setup where you can have target system installed a Unicode system using system copy option.

To minimize the downtime, you may perform parallel Database export import with table splitting.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Deepak, thanks for your comments

We plan to use parallel option in upcoming systems, but for that, I would need to perform the Conversion on a single server, to determine how long it would take using only one server, and request an entire new server.

My main issue, if I uninstall entire Non-Unicode system including tablespaces and datafiles layout, is when installing the system using system-copy method, the Import fails since on some tablespaces it couldnt extend the PSAPTEMP and other tablespaces.

So by having the same old layout as original system, i am assured there wont be any issues during import.

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Martin,

Scrap the entire existing setup and then you can then plan to have clean OS image with existing file system structure. This would definitely take less time than un-installing and dropping 5 TB database.

Secondly for your concern

the Import fails since on some tablespaces it couldnt extend the PSAPTEMP and other tablespaces.

This can be controlled with proper adjustments done during installation of target system. We can perform correct distribution with auto extend ON to avoid such failures. This can be done in Advanced database configuration while performing the installation.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Deepak

Since the original system still has old tablespace layout, its necessary to delete all of them to replace with Oracle New Tablespace Layout

Thanks for your help!

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello

This will not delete the database itself... it will drop the SAP all the schema objects (segments, object, tablespaces, datafiles...) for the selected ABAP/JAVA stack (depending on the user selected sapsr3 or sapsr3db)

The rest will be preserved

• Oracle instance (binaries/service)
  • system tablespaces (system, sysaux, undo...)
  • Control files
  • redo logs
  • directory structure

For the next run of your procedure you won't be able to run a regular installation as the DB will still be there and SAPinst is supposed to create the DB... So you will either have to drop the DB or perfom a system copy.

Regards

former_member229542
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Yves, thanks for your comments

Exactly, my idea is drop Data, but i would like to keep directory layout

Since using SapInst it remove the database entirely, and when running the Installation again, it would takes many hours to rebuild the directory structure since they are 500+ datafiles.

ACE-SAP
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The drop command "including contents" will delete the datafiles... thus SAPinst will have to create them again... and it can take while for a 5 Tb DB.

SAPinst is supposed to recreate the whole DB thus you should entirely delete it

startup mount exclusive restrict

drop database;

One solution would be to keep the datafiles

=> just run the first SQL command : drop user SAP<SCHEMA_ID> cascade;

and play with sapinst option SAPINST_SET_STEPSTATE to skip the DB creation step