cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Split or decouple DB and CI instances to separate hosts.

gururaj_srinivasa
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Team,

We are planning to separate DB and CI into different hosts, for better administration and improve performance.

Please let me know if there are any standard procedure to achieve this, or if you could refer me to any link / document would be great help.

Thank you! in advance.

Guru

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

patelyogesh
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I would say follwo same steps as system refresh using existing database and select distrubuted installation.

This is the easy solution

-Yogesh

gururaj_srinivasa
Participant
0 Kudos

We are on HP-UX and Oracle 11g

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Now this is something what we call as a system copy where you may have to adjust network setting and mount file systems to each server with keeping in mind the users on both hosts are same.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this, but the security and permission setting should also be the same.

You can get more useful replies if you can specify your OS and DB.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Why don't you just install CI on second machine and then delete the old one on first?

Options:

1) Stop CI on first machine and install new CI on second

2) Install new DI on second machine, stop CI on primary and then make newly installed DI as CI (It will keep your application up maximum time, because you are not stopping the instance during the installation)

3) Uninstall CI on first machine and install new CI on second using distributed installation method

Regards,

Nick Loy

gururaj_srinivasa
Participant
0 Kudos

Can we still have the same SID, if we go with new CI on new host

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

SID remains same because you are not installing a new system, you are just splitting your DB and CI into different machines.

*Since it is on HP-UX, it is much easier that you can just do the rsync and the manual Id/profile copy from first server to second server (it doesn't need any installation). But you should be comfort in doing in all these steps.

Do not get confused, just go with one of the option mentioned in my previous update...Good luck!

Regards,

Nick Loy

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

The standard procedure is system copy.

The Distributed setup is clearly mentioned in the system copy guide.

You can set up the target system with the same SID on the new host.

Regards

RB

gururaj_srinivasa
Participant
0 Kudos

Since we are currently on HPUX and Oracle 11g, is it possible to split CI and DB to different host with DB on HPUX and CI on Linux.

Will it be considered as Migration?

If that is possible, such distributed model with different OS is supported by SAP?

What challenges we might face we go with different OS on CI and DB

Appriciate your input on this

Thanks,

Guru

Reagan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello

Since we are currently on HPUX and Oracle 11g, is it possible to split CI and DB to different host with DB on HPUX and CI on Linux.

Yes. Heterogeneous setup.

Will it be considered as Migration?

No.

If that is possible, such distributed model with different OS is supported by SAP?

Yes. This has been discussed before. Search for Heterogeneous installation on SCN.

What challenges we might face we go with different OS on CI and DB.

Read these SAP notes to know more.

531069 - Heterogeneous Unix - Unix Systems

1067221 - Composite SAP Note for heterogeneous installation

RB