cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System copy on distributed system.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are planning for database refresh for sandbox with production data. Both prod and sandbox are installed as distributed system CI and DB on different server. As I am doing refresh on MS SQL 2008 R2(windows 2008 r2) for the first time. I require your guidance.

We are planning to go with backup restore method as for detach attach method we don't have downtime window for prod.

My query is first I will restore the backup of prod to sandbox, after restore where I will be running SWPM? only at DB system or both CI as well as DB system.

And how do I check if my database schema or non schema. and if it is a schema system then how should I go further.

Please help.

Kif

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Kif,

It really is only the database that you are refreshing, so you will run SWPM on the DB instance of your sandbox after restoring the backup made from PRD.

As for your schema question, almost all systems today are schema systems, with the schema = sid (in lower-case, for an ABAP system).  Older SAP systems used the default dbo schema.  Either way, when you run SWPM it will convert the schema from the prd sid to the sbx sid (or from dbo to the sbx sid) as part of its run.  There shouldn't be much you need to do manually for this.

Regards,

Matt

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Matt for your prompt reply. Now I am confident with going ahead with refresh. One more thing that is bothering me is should I run SWPM with distributed system >> database instance installation or central instance.

Path for SWPM>>>>software life-cycle option>>system copy>>MS SQL server>>Target system installation>>central system or go with distributed system>>database instance or central instance

Please help me.

Regards

Kif

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Use the distributed system option, as that is what applies to your target system.  It is all explained clearly in the system copy guide, which you should definitely reference as appropriate for your software version:  http://service.sap.com/instguides -> Installation & Upgrade Guides -> SAP NetWeaver -> SAP NetWeaver 7.4 (or version as appropriate) -> Installation -> 2 - Installation - SAP NetWeaver Systems -> System Copy: Systems Based on SAP NetWeaver 7.1 or Higher -> Windows: ABAP (or system variant as appropriate).  In the guide, choose the Database-Specific System Copy:  MS SQL Server-Specific Procedure.  Also, be sure to check out the chapter on Copying the Database Only - Refresh.  Basically, it says to run SWPM on the target database instance, choosing <Product> -> <Database> -> System Copy -> Target System -> <System_Variant> -> Based on AS ABAP (or other as appropriate) -> Database Refresh or Move.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Matt,

I have gone thru the system copy doc. While reading the doc I had confusion. What is the proper option I should go with .Please find the doc file attached to message with screenshots.

And for other option as you said  Copying the database only -refresh I don't want to go with export import method.

Please go thru doc attached and suggest.

Matt_Fraser
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

That's correct, you are not using the export-import method, you are using the backup/restore method.

Use the 'Database Instance' option.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Matt for your guidance. I will get back to you if I face any issues during the activity.

Regards

Kif

Answers (0)