Application Development Discussions
Join the discussions or start your own on all things application development, including tools and APIs, programming models, and keeping your skills sharp.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace return codes in ECC

Former Member
0 Kudos

Everytime I run a trace in ECC, I see looot of objects showing up with return codes 4 and 12.

Most of the objects which receive the RC=12 are not needed for user. I don't know why RC = 4 shows up even when the authorization values exist in the user profiles.

Can anyone please help me understand the trace return codes in ECC.

I found the below info on the web, which does not make sense to me from what I see in my trace analysis :

Return Code 0

Authorization check passed

No Authorization

Too many parameters for authorization check

Object not contained in user buffer

No profile contained in user buffer

Authorization check incorrect

Invalid user buffer

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Former Member
0 Kudos

The old return codes:

1 failed--the user has the object but not the complete authorization.

3 failed and the user does not have the object

now it's

4=the old 1

12=the old 3

Cheers,

Ben

3 REPLIES 3

Former Member
0 Kudos

The old return codes:

1 failed--the user has the object but not the complete authorization.

3 failed and the user does not have the object

now it's

4=the old 1

12=the old 3

Cheers,

Ben

0 Kudos

I dont think RC = 4 always implies that its old RC = 1.

Loooot of objects are receiving this RC=4 value. User should not need these values for the respective object. If RC=4 implies failed authorization, then why is the user able to do his job.

RC=12, again user does not need these values for the respective object.

I agree that at closing looking at objects with RC=4 will help in finding the authorization fix, but its still confusing.

0 Kudos

Just because a trace shows a user had a failed authorization object check doesn't mean one cannot perform the transaction. That will need to be determined on a case by case basis depending how the transaction works. Some transactions check security at a high level and then restrict the transaction accordingly if one only has selective security.

Example: SM36 checks S_BTCH_ADM 'Y'. This will show a return code 4 if one doesn't have the authorization with a 'Y' value. However the user can still perform the transaction on a limited basis if one has the other objects S_BTCH_JOB and S_BTCH_NAM (if applicable).

Cheers,

Ben