cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP HANA best way of modeling

0 Kudos

Hello Gurus ,

I have another design decision i have to make . Please let me know your Thoughts.

I have around 20 different reports. In each report there are some of the shared calculations like Summing, average, etc.

Can I build one model (Analytic or calculation view) or shall I build 20 different analytic or calculation view. Since any ways the data is not stored more than once and all the views are virtual. I believe creating the number of views does not matter since all views are virtual and I would be easier to modify

Individual views.

Can I create 20 different views for 20 different reports. Or can I group the similar calculations in to few models and build 3 to 4 models and build the views.

If i put all the common calculations in one model it would be bulky . Is it better to keep it separate because once it is in production , it would be

easier to modify the individual model rather than one common model and it would be less risk . At the same time , on the other side , if there is any change then i have to modify in each individual models .

I am planning to create 20 individual models , Since the models are virtual, having the more no of models will affect any performance or what is the best method.

Regards

Ram

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

0 Kudos

Hi Ram,

It all depends on how "bulky" the model might get and how much common data is presented in those reports.

HANA is a very powerful and super-fast database. So unless the model(analytic/calc view) becomes too complex to be maintained by the user, you can go for a single model (with parameters) with all the common calculations and have multiple reports connect to that single model. If a single model does not suffice, go for few more(2-4). Thumb rule is keep it to minimum required number.

For your another question... having more no. of models will not affect the performance. But for a cleaner approach do not create identical models.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

Siva

0 Kudos

Thanks Saravana . It was helpful.

0 Kudos

Glad to be of help. Can you please mark the response as helpful/answered, if you feel so.

Regards,

Siva

Answers (0)