cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dialog Instance Installation

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

We are having SAP ECC 6.0 on platform AIX 6.1 Oracle 10g and SAP Kernel 720 patch 300.

We are trying to add Dialogue Instance to add Application Server for my production System.

We are having SapInst for Kernel 700 release (NW 7.0 SR3 UC-Kernel 7.00 AIX 64bit: D51033506--->I don't know why cannot find 'NW 7.0 SR3 UC-Kernel 720 AIX 64bit).

I trying to install with this SAPINST  and the installation overwrite my production System Kernel back to 700_REL--->Note 1701575 tell me how to invoid overwrite the CI Kernel, but I don't know it will be succesful.

From Where we able to download Installation files for dialogue instance.

Pl. guide us according to Install Dialogue Instance.

Now I have two solution for DI installation as below, could you pls confirm it's ok ? or give me any other advise .

Solution1:
Install with NW7.0 Kernel7.0, but don’t unpack Kernel Archive, directly upgrade
the Patch300 of Kernel 720 to New DI(or need upgrade to Kernel 720 first and
then apply 720 Patch 300 ?).

Solution2:
Install with 720 UC Kernel for SWPM SP04-AIX 64(51047205_3), and then don’t
need upgrade Kernel patch for New DI ?

Thanks,

Mic

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

I trying to install with this SAPINST  and the installation overwrite my production System Kernel back to 700_REL--->Note 1701575 tell me how to invoid overwrite the CI Kernel, but I don't know it will be succesful.

I personally experienced this situation where my DI installation supposed to uncar the kernel in running CI's kernel directory (Mine was common kernel installation). Luckily I gave a wrong path where DI installation extracted the initial kernel

So I just changed the kernel patch after completion of DI installation! In this method you can keep your running system ON and DI installation can be done without any negative impact on running system.

Regards,

Nick Loy

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear,

Currently I only could find the Kernel 700 Installation package media '51033506_5------NW_7.0_SR3_Kernel_AIX__OS_400', this is Kernel700,

who can supply me a Kernel720 Installtion package media name or the download adress ?

TKs,

Mic

former_member188883
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

You can use the 700 kernel DVD and replace the SAPEXE and SAPEXEDB SAR files with 720 SAR files.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Deepak Kori

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

I believe the SAP note is all what you need. You just need to follow what the note says and make use of the kernel presently deployed on the central instance.

Good Luck

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

I have test that the installation is successful as note 1701575, and the supprie to me is that new DI kernel and patch is automatic changed to same as CI after installation, who can tell me the reason ?

and when I restart the new DI that it cannot be started , it appears the '

** ERROR => Cannot connect: dbs/ora/tnsname in

profile missing.          70  0.006808',

but after one hour when I re-login to OS that I could start SAP successful, and I don't know this is why ?

Tks,

Michael

ashish_vikas
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

*new DI kernel and patch is automatic changed to same as CI after installation*

When you start your DI, sapcpe copy sapmnt executable(of CI) locally on application server exe. So, it will overwrite any other kernel version.

best regards
Ashish

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Having the same version of the kernel on CI and AS after the installation is the expected behaviour and it should be like that. I believe that is what you were trying to achieve.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for all you guys.

Could you please tell me the Post-installation for Dialog Instance ?

for example, how to add new DI to logon group ? and which parameters need to adjust and how to adjust ? how to configure the profile ?

BR,

Mic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi,

Use SMLG and add this new DI.

You should adjust the memory parameters and number of WPs in newly installed DI according to your requirement and the resource availability.

You may refer one of the existing DI to get some idea on profile parameters (Instance profile).

Regards,

Nick Loy

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hello

You need to also consider increasing the Oracle processes and sessions.

Check this SAP note 830576 - Parameter recommendations for Oracle 10g for the calculation.

If you are using logon groups then configure SMLG.

Apart from that there is nothing else I can recall.

Regards

RB

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

You just need to follow SAP note 1701575 - Don't unpack old kernel archives when installing DI/AAS

Do not let sapinst unpack the archives. If the AAS is to be installed on a different machine make sure /sapmnt/SID/exe is accessible on the server where the AAS is to be installed.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

We don't want to impact current CI.

how to upgrade DI Kernel from 7.0 to current CI Kernel 720 Patch Level 300 ?

Install Kernel 720 first or directly install Kernel 720 PL300 ?

BR,

Mic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Michael,

Please install the 720 kernel along with Patch 300.

Also, please refer to the below note.

1636252 - Installing a 7.20 kernel in SAP Web AS 7.00/7.01/7.10/7.11

Thank you

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

First backup the DIR_CT_RUN (/sapmnt/SID/exe) location.

Follow the recommendation given in the SAP note 1701575 - Don't unpack old kernel archives when installing DI/AAS

You can use kernel 720 patch level 300.

The kernel is stored at one central location which is /sapmnt/SID/exe and copied to the DIR_EXECUTABLE (/usr/sap/SID/DVEBMGS00/exe, /usr/sap/SID/D10/exe) locations which are separate for each systems (CI and AS).

Jut follow the note and start the installer and the AS and CI will run on the same kernel.

Also consider taking a backup of the /sapmnt/SID/exe directory.

Regards

RB

Former Member
0 Kudos

RB,

So you mean I only need download and update the Patch Level 300 of Kernel720 and don't need to install Kernel 720 , right ?

Tks,

Mic

Reagan
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

If you want 7.20 64-BIT UNICODE PL 300 for AIX 64bit then use SAPEXE_300-20005242.SAR and SAPEXEDB_300-20005243.SAR.

It contains all the files from the previous patch level.

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hong,

Just to clarify your doubts, I gave you one SCN link.

Please follow those recommendations and from RB.

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

thanks,

another question: current real memory is 64G, how much need to assign for SWAP space ?

Mic

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

I still want to use the installation media 'NW7.0_Unicod_Kernel720_AIX'  same as my CI to install,

but I cannot find it only could find the Kernel 700 media,

could you pls help to it for me ?

Thanks,

Mic 

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi RB,

I have test that the installation is successful as note 1701575, and the supprie to me is that new DI kernel and patch is automatic changed to same as CI after installation, who can tell me the reason ?

and when I restart the new DI that it cannot be started , it appears the '

** ERROR => Cannot connect: dbs/ora/tnsname in

profile missing.          70  0.006808',

but after one hour when I re-login to OS that I could start SAP successful, and I don't know this is why ?

Tks,

Michael

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Hong,

Take the backup of your production kernel.

Complete the installation of Dialog Instance.

Once this is done, update your kernel on CI and DI, both with same version.

Or you can follow the guidelines of 1701575 if you are using sapinst or 1751798 if you are using SWPM.

Regards,

Divyanshu

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply.

We don't want to impact current CI.

how to upgrade DI Kernel from 7.0 to current CI Kernel 720 Patch Level 300 ?

Install Kernel 720 first or directly install Kernel 720 PL300 ?

BR,

Mic

divyanshu_srivastava3
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The Patch level should be same and for how this is possible refer

http://scn.sap.com/thread/3297094

Divyanshu