cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Direct SAP table update issues

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello Experts,

Currently, in my customer system i see one program for slotting, they are updating SAP standard table (SCM EWM) directly using below

statement.

"update /SAPAPO/MATLWH set rsqty = zmax_qty where matid = mat_wa_chunk-matid and scuguid = mat_wa_chunk-entitled_id."

I see that program is there in production from last almost 2 years and that is product update program which has to run periodically.

As per my knowledge, this is not acceptable. Can you please share me your thoughts, what kind of problems will occur and pre-defined errors

with direct data base table update?

What should we do now on this?

Thank you in advance.

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

former_member193471
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

It is does not hard, If you code is correctly written as per Unicode standards. However, If there is any function module/Method to update those, you can suggest them to use that. Else, they can have direct update statement. but, before doing that, they have to have locking Mechanism. They should not just write update statement.

As per my knowledge below are the Cons:

It might not capture the logs by having direct update statement.

If there is any Parallel update happens, there might be a chance for ABAP Runtime error.

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

For starters you should try to come up with a way to use standard APIs to do the update, so you can remove the code going forward.

As for past updates, there is little you can do without having a deep knowledge of the code base. If you really want to be sure that your system is consistent, your only realistic (well....kind of) option is to pay SAP consulting services for system consistency evaluation.

Your other option (probably a more realistic one) is to pray that the update didn't do any damage and that the field has no impact on other tables.