Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strategy based inspection for bridges

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Guys,

I have a scenario to map for Bridges inspection on my current project

The scenario is...

We have a bridge 'A' that undergoes two levels of inspection Level 1 and Level 2. The frequency for 'L1' is Annual and for L2 every 5 years. L1 is a visual inspection and L2 is a detailed inspection. Whenever we have L2 inspections there should be no L1 inspection scheduled.

I have mapped the scenarios as follows

1) Created and equipment for the Bridge

2) Created a equipment tasklist - with two group counters - counter '1' for Level 1 counter '2' for Level 2.

However i can't understand how to avoid Level 1 inpsections when there is a  'L2' inspection. This sounds to me like a strategy based inspection but not quite sure how to map it?

Thanks,
Sravan

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Sravan,

What you are looking for here is a Strategy-based Plan with Hierarchy

You need to create a Maintenance Strategy in IP11 (I propose you create it with the unit of "Months" so you can add monthly, quarterly, half-yearly etc. inspections - if necessary).

Then you can create a single Task List for that Strategy. You will select the Maintenance Package for the Operations.
In the Operations for the Visual Inspection, select the 1Y package only.
In the Operations for the Detailed Inspection, select the 5Y package only.

Because you set up the Strategy with a Hierarchy, the higher Package will override the lower one.

Create a new Maintenance Plan in IP42 & check the scheduling of the plan in IP10...

Alternatively, you can have the two Task Lists as you have now and add them to two Maintenance Items on a single Maintenance Plan. The Hierarchy will apply throughout the entire Plan, across multiple Items & Operations. This allows you to have different Item descriptions, among other things.

Also, consider if you require an Equipment Task List or a General Task list (the latter can be re-used across multiple bridges)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sebastian,

Thanks for the detailed email. My problems is i can't set a unique start date for Level 1 and Level 2 inspections as the business has given me different last inspection dates for L1 and L2.

Last Level 1 Inspection date:  26/05/2014

& Last Level 2 Inspection date:9/12/2011.

It does appear that they start at different months hence cant be included in one maintenance plan.

So i have created two maintenance plans with two different task lists for the same equipment differentiated by group counters.

however both the plans should talk to each other when to skip ( and what to) the other if they fall within the same year

am i right?

There may be a simple solution and the way i am interpreting this may be incorrect

Former Member
0 Kudos

Different start dates can be handled with Strategy based plan by defining Offset in Packages.

As Level 1 will not have any impact on Level 2 Inspection, it doesn't make any problem in creating 2 different plans or 1 maintenance plan with 2 items or one plan with strategy based plan.

sebastian_lenartowicz
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Greetings Sravan,

I agree with Maheswaran KD .,it looks like the use of Offsets is the best for you. As you want to schedule the plans at different dates, that are not offset by exactly 1 year from one another, you need to create 2 Plans.

A word of caution is that the Plans can't "talk" to one another (unless you created some enhancement), but you can align the maintenance date with your requirement through a resourceful use of offsets:

Create 5 Packages, each with 60 Months cycle and an Offset multiple of 12.

Assign the Packages 1,2,3,4 in your Visual Inspection plan & Package 5 in your Detailed Inspection plan.

Yoiu may specify different start dates, which should be your last inspection date for each level.

Be aware that if you should need to reschedule the Maintenance Plans, you have to do this for both of them independently.

Answers (0)