cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage unit

former_member1186946
Participant
0 Kudos

I have activated storage unit for my storage type which has a strategy B.Created a production order done material staging & issued material thru 261 it created a TO which goes to the LT12 screen where i am prompted to enter the SU's manually for all BOM materials when TO is created in foreground which is a tedious task how to to create TO in Background for the system to determine the SU's automatically

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

mihailo_sundic
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I see, you have bulk storage type, and you have SU management, but you want to confirm quantity only, not every SU. It's quicker, needs no manual work, just hit save in LT12. Yupp...

But only there's one problem. To explain it a bit clearly, I'll give you an insight on how it would work.

In several days, weeks, months (most probably days or weeks) you'll have the following situation:
- You have confirmed 100 pallets (SUs) from your storage type, but haven't actually confirmed the exact SUs that are physically picked (you have made a custom development so the system picks SUs by random)
- Ok, great, you haven't done any manual entry... the system handled it on its own... But, now you have left about 200 more SUs in your bulk storage type...
- Not you need to do some other process (post to cost center or anything like that)
You take the pallet, confirm the SU in LT12, but no, it doesn't work... It says SU doesn't exist. You take another one, still no luck, and another one. You freak out...
Now you go to LS24 and see the actual SUs that still exist, you pick one by random o.O You confirm the TO, and it works, but this SU has nothing to do with the real one physically picked!

These things complicate even further as time goes by.

So in my humble opinion, if you want it to work like this, then why in the earth do you need storage units. They will only slow down other processes, and you will NEVER have the correct SU number in your WM docs (TOs), so what's the point of SUs then?

Just deactivate SUs, move stock to another temporary bulk ST, and return it to this ST after you switch of SU management.

Or you can do the custom development during TO creation or confirmation and work with imaginary SUs, which are used for nothing.

Regards,
Mihailo

former_member1186946
Participant
0 Kudos

SU's is required by Business & not by me.The issue when i try to confirm LT12 the system does not allow it shows which bin has the stock with SU's then i have to goto LS24 key in the bin & pick up the storage unit & enter in LT12

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I don't really get it.

I have several warehouses with storage unit management.

A TO is a order to move something from A to B . This TO has usually already all information based on the picking strategy when it is created, even with the SU number.

The worker is supposed to pick exactly this pallet with the identical SU number.

And in LT12 one just confirms what has been done.

If the worker picked a different SU number, then you may need to change the number, but in that case it is nonsense to pick the SU number from LS24, how can you know which one is the correct one? The worker has to write the new SU number manually into the TO before he gives the TO for confirmation into the office. With SU management you should use scanners for your convenience.

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

SU's is required by Business & not by me.

Then "business" will require that you confirm the correct SU. The system can't know automatically which SU was picked, you need to give him that information.

If the "business" wants SUs then "business" will want the correct SUs inside the system, and not arbitrary ones.

Your process doesn't work, because you are using SU management without RF. Instead of trying to hammer away a solution, look at it from a business perspective, talk to business and say:

• To have the correct information with need to implement RF, if we don't, we can't have SU managment.

Much better then using SU in "Let's pretend this works" world.

joao_sousa2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A TO is a order to move something from A to B . This TO has usually already all information based on the picking strategy when it is created

Except in bulk storage. In bulk storage you have several pallets pilled up, and no information in the system about what pallet is available. The system doesn't know if pallet X the bottom or the top one, it makes more sense (and SAP works that way) to manually inform the system about which pallet was picked.

I've done this in a warehouse, the RF screen is different for bulk storage because of this.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

0 Kudos

If the TO is created from bulk storage, there wont be Source SU number in the TO.

You have to confirm the SU number when you are picking.

This make sense because there may be a scenario where system proposes a SU which may be some where back in Bulk storage which is not accessible for picking.

If you want use SU management and dont want to confirm SU number during TO confirmation, you can  change Strategy, Change strategy from B to some other strategy and create only one bin in the storage type and allow mixed storage without limitation for the storage type.

former_member1186946
Participant
0 Kudos

We have RF so i don't see any issues but my concern was i was testing w/o RF & only in the system.Just curious what happens when RF doesn't work.

Thanks for the input

former_member318507
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Murugan,

Can you please check whether the below mentioned check box is selected for MT 261 in your system?

JL23
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

had you eventually activated SU management after you had already quants? Usually the SU will be transferred from the quant to the TO

former_member1186946
Participant
0 Kudos

No it was activated in initial configuration itself

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Strategy B represent Bulk storage where in one bin you can have multiple SU. You need to confirm which SU are planning to pick. During physical picking also you are supposed to confirm the system which SU are you picking so from system / & warehouse best practice it is fine for the system to prompt you to enter the SU at the time of TO Confirmation(LT12)

If u want to automate then you can look for some development or  "Transfer order can be confirmed immediately" in the movement type however this is not recommended

former_member1186946
Participant
0 Kudos

The issue is if the BOM has for example 100 materials then it is not practically possible to goto lt12 & enter the SU's manually

MANIS
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Can you please let us know how are you doing physical picking of these BOM from the warehouse ?